Sam4568
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
There's less than a month left for exams and I feel like I have so much to do, there was a point where I was doing ok, my mood was good I was motivated and now it's all down the drain again, the bags under my eyes are intense. The depression and subsequent low mood is killing me, I'll be sat at my desk in front of all my revision books and just feel numb, all I want to do is climb into bed and sleep eternally but I know I can't, what do I do, I haven't got that much time left how do I revise enough while so depressed, I'm finding it so so difficult.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When you say you're depressed, is this medically diagnosed? If so, if you're finding things overwhelming then you should speak to your doctor and see whether there is anything that could be changed with your treatment to improve things. Plus, if you feel that your depression is likely to affect your grades, it is important that you have it on record that you've been struggling.

I would also speak to your college, as they might be able to help you make your revision more manageable.

Things can get very intense at this time of year, but by far the best thing to do is to take things slowly. If you know that you don't have enough time to revise absolutely everything, just take things slowly and revise what you can. Spend half an hour making a realistic revision timetable, including plenty of time for breaks. Revise with friends if you can, as this can help you get in the headspace more than just sitting on your own. Maybe try revising in a coffee shop or in a park/beach if the weather gets better.

If you have a close friend, even who isn't doing the exams, it might worth asking whether they would be able to help you revise. If you have study notes they could test you, and discuss your course material with you.

You might not be able to go over absolutely everything and get 100% correct answers, but by a) getting the help you need for your depression and b) accepting help from your college, friends and family, you are giving yourself the best possible chance.

At the end of the day, I am confident that you CAN do this. And if you really, really, really can't - then you need to see someone who can help you make things better. And I am confident that if that's the path you have to go down, that will be fine, too.

On a side note, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with retaking modules or even whole subjects a little down the line if you don't get the grades you really need now. Perhaps if you're overwhelmed you could focus on your strongest subjects this year, and then retake the others - or what you need to get to where you want to go - next year.
Sam4568
Rep:
?
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
When you say you're depressed, is this medically diagnosed? If so, if you're finding things overwhelming then you should speak to your doctor and see whether there is anything that could be changed with your treatment to improve things. Plus, if you feel that your depression is likely to affect your grades, it is important that you have it on record that you've been struggling.

I would also speak to your college, as they might be able to help you make your revision more manageable.

Things can get very intense at this time of year, but by far the best thing to do is to take things slowly. If you know that you don't have enough time to revise absolutely everything, just take things slowly and revise what you can. Spend half an hour making a realistic revision timetable, including plenty of time for breaks. Revise with friends if you can, as this can help you get in the headspace more than just sitting on your own. Maybe try revising in a coffee shop or in a park/beach if the weather gets better.

If you have a close friend, even who isn't doing the exams, it might worth asking whether they would be able to help you revise. If you have study notes they could test you, and discuss your course material with you.

You might not be able to go over absolutely everything and get 100% correct answers, but by a) getting the help you need for your depression and b) accepting help from your college, friends and family, you are giving yourself the best possible chance.

At the end of the day, I am confident that you CAN do this. And if you really, really, really can't - then you need to see someone who can help you make things better. And I am confident that if that's the path you have to go down, that will be fine, too.

On a side note, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with retaking modules or even whole subjects a little down the line if you don't get the grades you really need now. Perhaps if you're overwhelmed you could focus on your strongest subjects this year, and then retake the others - or what you need to get to where you want to go - next year.
Thank you, like the fact you wrote all that for a stranger on the internet really warms my heart so thank you so much, I'll definitely take in some of what you said, my depression diagnosis is non existent and i made it more complicated than it should be, I've been to see a doctor, but never able to bring myself to properly tell them what was going on, so no one really did anything.
But I'll definitely take what you said into consideration, maybe extra time and some actual help is what I need and again thank you so much x
sunnysky
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
great advice. check the syllabus for your subjects. .you can do this by looking on the exam board websites..make a list of topics...plan your time..take breaks..speak to your teachers...you CAN do this. don't panic.
Jasmine Topaz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sam4568)
there's less than a month left for exams and i feel like i have so much to do, there was a point where i was doing ok, my mood was good i was motivated and now it's all down the drain again, the bags under my eyes are intense. The depression and subsequent low mood is killing me, i'll be sat at my desk in front of all my revision books and just feel numb, all i want to do is climb into bed and sleep eternally but i know i can't, what do i do, i haven't got that much time left how do i revise enough while so depressed, i'm finding it so so difficult.
do not give up
Sam4568
Rep:
?
(Original post by sunnysky)
great advice. check the syllabus for your subjects. .you can do this by looking on the exam board websites..make a list of topics...plan your time..take breaks..speak to your teachers...you CAN do this. don't panic.
Thank you ❤
ethistu7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh you’ll be okay. Everybody is in a similar position. I feel nearly as dreadful as you but you’ve got to just try and look past it though I know it’s tricky! There’s a light at the end of the tunnel in the big summer hols.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?