username3506416
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there,
So I need some advice.
I don't understand how to answer exam questions because I haven't done much and I don't understand really...

I am in year 12
Exam board: AQA

I am most stressed about not knowing the content for the mocks and overall.

What is AO1 in psychology? Examples?
What is AO2? Examples?
What is AO3? Evaluation points? Examples?

How do I structure a 4 mark outline question?
A 6 mark evaluate question?
A 12 mark evaluation question?
A 16 mark evaluation question?

I missed ALL of the attachment topic in college and now I've basically got to learn it ALL in 3 days because I've missed other subject topics and have to start revision on them now it's holidays and the teacher has already started the NEXT topic so I have to revise for that too.

How am I supposed to revise for attachment AND understand everything in 3 days!?

How am I supposed to understand how to answer exam questions!!??

I've been trying to revise non stop and I haven't gotten past the first topic of attachment because it's not sticking inside my head and I'm really stressed out over everything!

I've made detailed notes but they are not sticking inside my head and I keep forgetting everything a while later...

What should I do?

Thank you
username3506416
Rep:
?
Bump
username3838066
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay calm down. It will all be okay, I promise I’m in year 13 now and attachment was my favourite module last year, if I can get my head round it I promise you can! Most of it sort of general knowledge, so just try and apply as much of it to real life as you can. If you have any specific issues with attachment im happy to help
Ao1 is your actual content, so like the facts. Ao2 is applying this content to a scenario that you’re given in the question stem. Ao3 is just your evaluation points so strengths and limitations.
Structure doesn’t matter too much, especially in 4 markers. Just put as many Ao1 points as you can think of. With 12 or 16 markers, 6 marks are for Ao1 points and the rest of the marks (6 or 10) are for evaluation points. So I tend to do a couple of paragraphs on the info and then add maybe 4 or 5 explained evaluation points.
Just ask if there’s anything you want to know or if I haven’t explained something properly, I’m doing psychology at uni next year so I’m happy to talk about it 24/7😜
username3506416
Rep:
?
(Original post by dilemma_w)
Okay calm down. It will all be okay, I promise I’m in year 13 now and attachment was my favourite module last year, if I can get my head round it I promise you can! Most of it sort of general knowledge, so just try and apply as much of it to real life as you can. If you have any specific issues with attachment im happy to help
Ao1 is your actual content, so like the facts. Ao2 is applying this content to a scenario that you’re given in the question stem. Ao3 is just your evaluation points so strengths and limitations.
Structure doesn’t matter too much, especially in 4 markers. Just put as many Ao1 points as you can think of. With 12 or 16 markers, 6 marks are for Ao1 points and the rest of the marks (6 or 10) are for evaluation points. So I tend to do a couple of paragraphs on the info and then add maybe 4 or 5 explained evaluation points.
Just ask if there’s anything you want to know or if I haven’t explained something properly, I’m doing psychology at uni next year so I’m happy to talk about it 24/7😜
Wow! Thank you so much!
I do love psychology I guess I'm just stressed about the workload and how long I have to do it ALL in..
Is 1 week enough? To do 3 whole broad topics of revision, ubderstanding and memorization for three different subjects? I don't think so.
I'd rather understand everything than just vaguely have a look at it right?

How did you revise?
I'm a auditory learner, I have made my extensive notes and everything... It's all there for attachment yet when I plan to cover 3 of the 10 topics a day (I know that's a lot and mentally draining and impossible now) I find myself still on the first same topic at the end of the day... at this point I am stressed to the max and have been revising for hours on end and even though everuthing content wise is there in note form I can't get it in my head!!!!!!!!!
username3838066
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ariel2611)
Wow! Thank you so much!
I do love psychology I guess I'm just stressed about the workload and how long I have to do it ALL in..
Is 1 week enough? To do 3 whole broad topics of revision, ubderstanding and memorization for three different subjects? I don't think so.
I'd rather understand everything than just vaguely have a look at it right?

How did you revise?
I'm a auditory learner, I have made my extensive notes and everything... It's all there for attachment yet when I plan to cover 3 of the 10 topics a day (I know that's a lot and mentally draining and impossible now) I find myself still on the first same topic at the end of the day... at this point I am stressed to the max and have been revising for hours on end and even though everuthing content wise is there in note form I can't get it in my head!!!!!!!!!
1 week isn’t ideal I’m not gonna lie.. but it’s possible. You just need to calm down. Have a break, do something you enjoy, like watching a tv programme or whatever.. nothing will go in if you’re just mad stressed.
It’s definitely better to completely understand something but if it’s definitely not gonna happen, it is possible to still do well by just retaining information and remembering it and writing it down in the exam, without really understanding what they’re saying. When you’ve covered all the info, find some exam questions (ask your teacher?) and see if you can answer them. Try and learn what their looking for in your answers by looking at the mark scheme.
I revise by writing down my notes because I’m a visual learner. But I’m sure there’s ton of ideas online about the best ways an auditory learner can revise, just have a wee google.
The most important thing is not to panic. You’ve got time. Even if you don’t finish this week, you can continue to learn this stuff when you’re revising everything else. You’ll be fine, I promise. As long as you know it for next year.
username3506416
Rep:
?
1 week isn’t ideal I’m not gonna lie.. but it’s possible. You just need to calm down. Have a break, do something you enjoy, like watching a tv programme or whatever.. nothing will go in if you’re just mad stressed.
It’s definitely better to completely understand something but if it’s definitely not gonna happen, it is possible to still do well by just retaining information and remembering it and writing it down in the exam, without really understanding what they’re saying. When you’ve covered all the info, find some exam questions (ask your teacher?) and see if you can answer them. Try and learn what their looking for in your answers by looking at the mark scheme.
I revise by writing down my notes because I’m a visual learner. But I’m sure there’s ton of ideas online about the best ways an auditory learner can revise, just have a wee google.
The most important thing is not to panic. You’ve got time. Even if you don’t finish this week, you can continue to learn this stuff when you’re revising everything else. You’ll be fine, I promise. As long as you know it for next year.
Thank you!
You honestly think I can revise 4 whole really big topics in a week?
I know I can get A extended deadline so that's good I suppose...

The problem with me is I can't retain the info!

I revised for two whole days on the same first topics and yes I was stressed but 2 whole days!

I can't 'retain' the information!

I find it so hard to memorise or keep the information in my head... I did get half of the first topics information inside my head I suppose just not the rest because I went into panic mode again :-(
username3838066
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you!
You honestly think I can revise 4 whole really big topics in a week?
I know I can get A extended deadline so that's good I suppose...

The problem with me is I can't retain the info!

I revised for two whole days on the same first topics and yes I was stressed but 2 whole days!

I can't 'retain' the information!

I find it so hard to memorise or keep the information in my head... I did get half of the first topics information inside my head I suppose just not the rest because I went into panic mode again :-(
I can’t remember how much info exactly there is on the attachment module.. but you’re just gonna have to do as much as possible. You’re in year 12 right? Do these exams contribute to your final grade?

Just avoid panic mode. Nothing will go in if you panic. Revise somewhere where you feel relaxed, maybe with some chill music on in the background (preferably no lyrics tho, just instrumental). Have regular breaks
username3506416
Rep:
?
I can’t remember how much info exactly there is on the attachment module.. but you’re just gonna have to do as much as possible. You’re in year 12 right? Do these exams contribute to your final grade?

Just avoid panic mode. Nothing will go in if you panic. Revise somewhere where you feel relaxed, maybe with some chill music on in the background (preferably no lyrics tho, just instrumental). Have regular breaks
Yeah I am in year 12
These mocks will be contributing yes
I am scared for the ACTUAL real mock exam which will give me my first year grade..
That's what Universities are going to get right?
Thanks
username3838066
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I am in year 12
These mocks will be contributing yes
I am scared for the ACTUAL real mock exam which will give me my first year grade..
That's what Universities are going to get right?
Thanks
So they contribute to the a level grade you come away with at the end of year 13? And unis do get these grades.. but I only got BBCC in my first year exams, applied to AAA/AAB unis and got multiple unconditionals. Predicted grades and your personal statement are way more important. So unless it actually contributes to your final grade there’s definitely no need to panic
username3506416
Rep:
?
So they contribute to the a level grade you come away with at the end of year 13? And unis do get these grades.. but I only got BBCC in my first year exams, applied to AAA/AAB unis and got multiple unconditionals. Predicted grades and your personal statement are way more important. So unless it actually contributes to your final grade there’s definitely no need to panic
I don't know to be honest if it contributes to the final 2 year grade or not
How does that work?
Is this exam known as AS or A level?
There is no such thing as AS anymore right?
Will I be doing an AS exam at the end of this year or A level? Because they did change things
username3838066
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't know to be honest if it contributes to the final 2 year grade or not
How does that work?
Is this exam known as AS or A level?
There is no such thing as AS anymore right?
Will I be doing an AS exam at the end of this year or A level? Because they did change things
I think it’s just a mock a level exam, so I don’t think it contributes, it’s just a progress checker and to send some grades off to your unis. At least that’s what it’s like this year at my school, but check with a teacher at your school
username3506416
Rep:
?
I think it’s just a mock a level exam, so I don’t think it contributes, it’s just a progress checker and to send some grades off to your unis. At least that’s what it’s like this year at my school, but check with a teacher at your school
Don't you need to get good grades if it's going to uni?
What if you get lower than the expected end of A level requirements in the first year?
Does it mean i won't get into the uni?
I really really want to do Psychology at Cambridge is that too ambitious for me???
Thanks
username3838066
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't you need to get good grades if it's going to uni?
What if you get lower than the expected end of A level requirements in the first year?
Does it mean i won't get into the uni?
I really really want to do Psychology at Cambridge is that too ambitious for me???
Thanks
I mean it’s ideal, but like I say, I didn’t get my expected end of A Level requirements and I got offers from all 5 of my unis, which were all good unis. I didn’t want to go to Cambridge so I don’t know what they do but yes, I imagine they place some importance on your first year grades. But if you’re unable to memorise information and handle stress then maybe Cambridge isn’t the best option for you anyway.
username3506416
Rep:
?
I mean it’s ideal, but like I say, I didn’t get my expected end of A Level requirements and I got offers from all 5 of my unis, which were all good unis. I didn’t want to go to Cambridge so I don’t know what they do but yes, I imagine they place some importance on your first year grades. But if you’re unable to memorise information and handle stress then maybe Cambridge isn’t the best option for you anyway.
No! Please don't say that!
That's my dream!
I really really really want to go there!
Please don't say that!
I am stressed (yes) but that's because I've JUST recovered from major surgery and I'm not back in the revision mode if that makes sense

I really do want to go to Cambridge...
Where do you go? Or want to go?

Thanks
Vanilla Twilight
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This page is really helpful for exam styled questions! https://theunconsciouscurriculum.com...ons-paper-1-2/
username3506416
Rep:
?
Bump
username3838066
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No! Please don't say that!
That's my dream!
I really really really want to go there!
Please don't say that!
I am stressed (yes) but that's because I've JUST recovered from major surgery and I'm not back in the revision mode if that makes sense

I really do want to go to Cambridge...
Where do you go? Or want to go?

Thanks
If you work hard enough then you’ll get there then! My sister is at Cambridge but she had to work crazy crazy hard. So good luck, I hope you get there! Plenty of time to catch up

I’m going to Lancaster in September
username3506416
Rep:
?
If you work hard enough then you’ll get there then! My sister is at Cambridge but she had to work crazy crazy hard. So good luck, I hope you get there! Plenty of time to catch up

I’m going to Lancaster in September

I will work hard!
I can do it!
I know it!
Thank you for your advice, kind words and motivation I really needed ALL of it!
Thank you so much!
Cheesecake17
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Make sure you test yourself after learning the material, that's the best way to improve retention so constantly try to do that. What's the point of studying for hours and then not being able to remember it right? Best of luck!
username3506416
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cheesecake17)
Make sure you test yourself after learning the material, that's the best way to improve retention so constantly try to do that. What's the point of studying for hours and then not being able to remember it right? Best of luck!
Thank you so much for replying!
Yes, you are 100% right!
But when I test myself I don't seem to remember it maybe because I don't take regular breaks or anything and stay there attempting to 'retain' all the information :-(

I know I can do it if I put my mind to it and I can achieve my dream of going to Cambridge but sometimes fear and anxiety takes over and I go into panic mode all over again. I don't really know how to control it... I am not a person who stresses over nothing.... I always have a specific reason and then later when I've either finished or given up I'm like what? Why was I stressing?
:P

How do I retain the information?
I do try to do exam questions but my head is aching by the time all those hours go by as well as my back.
I think I need to take regular breaks that's the problem because I get so stressed out in the same room etc

Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (10)
6.25%
They've been reasonable (67)
41.88%
Not feeling great... (44)
27.5%
They are TERRIBLE! (39)