How to revise

Watch this thread
Jordanna26
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Could I revise for subjects like science/geography/maths just by doing practice questions? I feel like writing out all the content is taking wayyy to long

random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
"writing out all the content" Why?
Randomstudwnt
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Its best just to simplify everything you read into like a sentence per paragraph
Jordanna26
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Well I haven’t been writing out all the content but like shortening it onto pages but it’s still taking me like 2 hours to do 3/4 sheets :/
SpotOnUni
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
One great technique, which would be more time efficient (and better for you to memorise) would be to find a classmate who you would explain the contents to. If you're able to explain it, chances are, you'll have it understood quite nicely. It will be a bit hard at first, but the more you do it, the more natural and easy it will become

Alternatively, if you are doing 3/4 sheets over 2 hours I'd ask - are you copying only what is necessary? Try to summarise the content a bit further - what can be missed out without missing the key information ?
LarissaAlves
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Best revision techniques that should work for all subjects...

1. create a timetable and plan all your days from here to the exams
1.1. study more than one subject/topic per day because it's better to do small chunks than loooong periods on the same thing
1.2. study the same subject/topic again a few days later. You'll always forget stuff, so if you revise again, your memory gets stronger

2. use visual elements
2.1. things are harder to understand when it's only words.
2.2. examples: mind maps, colour coding, timelines, diagrams

3. practice questions
3.1. you`ll learn so much more if you test your memory than if you are simply passively reading notes
3.2. flash cards, past papers, and revision websites such as www.senecalearning.com (great and free!) or tassomai (good but not free)

Hope that helps! If you want more details, check out this blog https://senecalearning.com/blog/revision-tips/ and The Learning Scientists blog
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (41)
32.03%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (59)
46.09%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (27)
21.09%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.78%

Watched Threads