Fashion History and Theory at CSM vs Fashion and Dress History at Brighton

Watch this thread
Jazmine24
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Is anyone doing fashion history and theory at csm or fashion and dress history at Brighton and have any insight into them? I'm currently deciding which to go to, I've had offers from both and am thinking I'll probably go to csm because of its status etc but when I went to the open day I really preferred Brighton !
Musiclover1234
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Hey,

I don't study at these places but I applied to do Fashion this year and I also applied to CSM, but withdrew my application from them to accept Manchester. I genuinely believe you shouldn't choose reputation as the defining answer to which uni you should go for. Its tempting to pick a uni because of their connections and alumi etc... But the university doesn't make the student, its the students who make the uni. fashion in general is tough industry, regardless of where your degree will be from, and you have to make your own connections and get your own placements. If you feel you'll be happier somewhere else, take that because you'll be there for 4 years and in £60k of debt. Obviously it's your choice and I wish you the absolute best with your course But there's more factors to consider when accepting a course rather than just who previously went there. You can be successfull wherever you go. Which uni you went to won't make a difference when you have a degree. So long as your happy, like the city, like the course, and ready to work hard
Jazmine24
Rep:
Thank you!! Yeah thats a good point, at first I really wanted to go to CSM but I'm not so keen on living in London and feel like it might be pretty intimidating, competitive etc but don't want to regret turning down the opportunity ! Having said that, the lecturers were much friendlier at Brighton and I loved the city and like you said it is where I'll be living for years, this is stressful haha
Musiclover1234
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jazmine24)
Thank you!! Yeah thats a good point, at first I really wanted to go to CSM but I'm not so keen on living in London and feel like it might be pretty intimidating, competitive etc but don't want to regret turning down the opportunity ! Having said that, the lecturers were much friendlier at Brighton and I loved the city and like you said it is where I'll be living for years, this is stressful haha
Tell me about it... CSM was my first choice, but after i went there and then I went to Manchester for interviews, I was conflicted and I was like you thinking about the connections over the rest of it but at the end of the day, tough love, you may not get the connections you want by going there anyway, and dropping out seems silly!! I'd reccomend phoning the two unis and ask them questions and write down their responses to how their placement years work, what their students do after graduation. you might find they're not that different. All in all you'll want to be in a stable place with support and for me I felt CSM lacked that and didn't seem to care much about me/students like manchester did. Pus LDN is bloody expensive for not a lot of gain, you might even work in LDN for a placement year so you'll ed up there anyway.

Go where you think you'll be 100% happy and cosider all factors. I made a list of pros and cons
Jazmine24
Rep:
Yeah that a good idea, when I went to the open day at Brighton the lecturer said we could email her so I might do that, they also said they find us placements which is pretty good, thanks for your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (156)
41.82%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.5%
No (148)
39.68%

Watched Threads