The Student Room Group

International relations application

What extra curricular activities should i be looking to get involved with to boost my application for international relations
Model United Nations is a generic but important one. A St.Andrews lecturer told me that over 60% of applicants they received one year included MUN in their applications, so it is better to be with the crowd than the odd one out.

I am also travelling to Peru for a month, which shows my culture shock and exposure to developing worlds. Important because the study of IR is not just US-Russia or multi-governance or whatever else, but it is also the work of NGOs and development; I'm sure you know this already. If you get the chance, take it, get out your comfort zone and try to do something similar if you can afford it.

It's also important to understand why you want to study IR. Make it explicit, and emphasise why this makes you passionate. IR is very competitive, and again, you probably think you know this, but trust me, it can be 6:1 applicant to place ratios at some top universities. I got offers from the University of Glasgow, University of Dundee and the University of Edinburgh, but rejected from St.Andrews and Stirling (Scots Applicant). The fact I got rejected from Stirling shows that every uni is different, so ultimately, you just need to do what you enjoy doing, because if you can show that you take your interest further than school-grounds, you can easily exemplify your passion. Passion can beat the other 5 applicants.

Best of luck for next year!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending