lydiarutharnold
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey, I’m doing j+h, macbeth and blood brothers and the power and conflict poetry- just wondered if flashcards were an effective way of remembering key quotes/themes? Just not too sure how else to remember them
HT2412
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lydiarutharnold)
Hey, I’m doing j+h, macbeth and blood brothers and the power and conflict poetry- just wondered if flashcards were an effective way of remembering key quotes/themes? Just not too sure how else to remember them
Flashcards worked for me, and they worked for other people too. But it totally depends upon what works best for you.

If Flashcards have worked for you before, go with them again. If not, try something different. You could try mindmaps for key themes or try sticking quotes around your house.
lydiarutharnold
Rep:
?
(Original post by HT2412)
Flashcards worked for me, and they worked for other people too. But it totally depends upon what works best for you.

If Flashcards have worked for you before, go with them again. If not, try something different. You could try mindmaps for key themes or try sticking quotes around your house.
thank you, haven’t used flashcards before but thought they’d probably help
euphrosynay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
they certainly can be! they're a good way to attach meaning to different quotes or parts of a poem, and can help when you want different points to support your argument.

you can make sets of flashcards that draw together quotes from different parts of novels or plays, and it can be easier to see how they're linked in terms of themes or development of events.

flashcards have the advantage of being portable (this matters more if your notes are physical).

when making flashcards, it is important to keep both the content that you need to remember and the explanation/extra information surrounding it as concise as possible. it may be a challenge to make your ideas and notes so short, but if you can, and if that's the best way for you to remember, then it's certainly worth the time and effort.

in the days before the exams, flashcards are especially useful to keep what you need to in your head. if you want to memorise quotes or smaller aspects, you can look at them and you'll know - just make sure you can either remember the effects of these, or have the effects included in your flashcards. if you want to make sure that you'll have points to expand on for any question thrown at you, just look at them and you'll have a good chance of being able to answer the question using varied angles of argument.

if you have your key ideas at heart and know the little but important pieces of information to solidify them on paper, you will be fine using flashcards! remember to run through them regularly and well, so you can be confident about all your content.
lydiarutharnold
Rep:
?
(Original post by euphrosynay)
they certainly can be! they're a good way to attach meaning to different quotes or parts of a poem, and can help when you want different points to support your argument.

you can make sets of flashcards that draw together quotes from different parts of novels or plays, and it can be easier to see how they're linked in terms of themes or development of events.

flashcards have the advantage of being portable (this matters more if your notes are physical).

when making flashcards, it is important to keep both the content that you need to remember and the explanation/extra information surrounding it as concise as possible. it may be a challenge to make your ideas and notes so short, but if you can, and if that's the best way for you to remember, then it's certainly worth the time and effort.

in the days before the exams, flashcards are especially useful to keep what you need to in your head. if you want to memorise quotes or smaller aspects, you can look at them and you'll know - just make sure you can either remember the effects of these, or have the effects included in your flashcards. if you want to make sure that you'll have points to expand on for any question thrown at you, just look at them and you'll have a good chance of being able to answer the question using varied angles of argument.

if you have your key ideas at heart and know the little but important pieces of information to solidify them on paper, you will be fine using flashcards! remember to run through them regularly and well, so you can be confident about all your content.
thank you very much, planning to do this now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (256)
56.89%
I don't have everything I need (194)
43.11%

Watched Threads