The Student Room Group

Can I get a training contractor with BTECs instead of A Levels?

I am in my final year studying Law LLB. I am not at a Russell group university, but have achieved a 2:1 in my first and second year and I am predicted to receive a 1st or strong 2:1.

I did not do A-levels and I have instead completed a Pearson BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma and have received 320 UCAS points upon completion.

The grades I have received in my Subsidiary Diploma are equivalent to an A-level.

My question:
I would like to know whether it is worth applying for a city law firm as I did not do A levels and done BTEC’s instead.

I basically got:
1 Distinction
2 Merits
1 Pass
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
Any firm would only consider three of the four grades (DMM). So your UCAS calculation should be based on that rather than DMMP.

But yes, BTECs are not an issue. I’ve recruited people who had them instead of A-levels.

Firslty, thank you for responding. Secondly, a distinction is worth 120 UCAS points and the merit counts as 80 UCAS points, so does that me firms would ignore my fourth BTEC and only calculate me as 280 instead?

Thank you
Reply 2
Original post by J-SP
Yes - that sounds correct from my knowledge.

There’s now a new tariff system for all qualifications, so check what it would be using the new calculator.

I see, thank you so much for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending