The Student Room Group

Should new drivers have to undergo a medical?

Should new car drivers have to undergo a medical before they are issued with a provisional licence?
The reason is that a lot of health conditions can affect a persons fitness to drive safely, conditions such as heart arythmia, brugarda syndrome, coronary heart disease, syncope, asthma etc which could cause a person to pass out while driving. Also habitual drug use or chronic alcoholism.

At present bus drivers and lorry drivers need medical before they can even learn to drive a bus or lorry, should this be extended to new car drivers before they take lessons?
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm not sure. You are asked a lot of health questions when applying for a provisional.
I m curious as to why you've mentioned asthma, many asthmatics are perfectly managed and in most situations someone could pull over when an attack started you don't suddenly lose consciousness. It's my dyspraxia that makes me a dangerous driver, never even thought about my asthma making me dangerous:P
Original post by DrawTheLine
I'm not sure. You are asked a lot of health questions when applying for a provisional.

True but some medical conditions are undiagnosed and only discovered with a medical and some people might lie on the licence application form.
If you want to be a bus or lorry driver a questionnaire is not sufficient to determine fitness to drive.
Original post by Ambitious1999
True but some medical conditions are undiagnosed and only discovered with a medical and some people might lie on the licence application form.
If you want to be a bus or lorry driver a questionnaire is not sufficient to determine fitness to drive.

There are also some conditions that arise after being deemed a healthy driver and having a driving license for many years. Even a totally fit and healthy person can have a seizure at the wheel, with no known cause. My cousin had one (luckily at home) - she's fit, healthy, an athlete. Sudden seizure at home. Tonnes of tests done, not allowed to drive for 6 months. That was a few years ago and she's never had anything since.

If someone lies and it's found out, can't their license be taken away / have a fine or something like that? (Don't quote me on that I'm just guessing because that sounds like it could be a thing)
Doesn't sound practical really, you're putting a of of faith in 'A Medical', who is going to carry them out or pay for them? NHS is hobbled as it is and private docs charge a bundle..
Nope, but people should get revals. For the lulz.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending