[4] Room 101 - Walking Whilst Looking At Your Phone Watch

Poll: Should Walking Whilst Looking At Your Phone be locked into Room 101?
Yes (2)
40%
No (3)
60%
Koalifications
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
!If you are confused as to what this is, see this post:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6#post76536106

Andrew97: People who walk into you while looking at their phone and then proceed to blame you. Look where your walking, your phone isn’t that interesting!

So, do you find people who walk whilst looking at their phone annoying? What if it is something important? And when would this act be deemed as important?

Now you can vote. Comment your opinions, backing them up with science, religion, facts, and whatever else, and we will see whether walking whilst looking at your phone will be locked into Room 101

Taglist

SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Koalifications)
If you are confused as to what this is, see this post:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6#post76536106

Andrew97: People who walk into you while looking at their phone and then proceed to blame you. Look where your walking, your phone isn’t that interesting!
So, do you find people who walk whilst looking at their phone annoying? What if it is something important? And when would this act be deemed as important?

Now you can vote. Comment your opinions, backing them up with science, religion, facts, and whatever else, and we will see whether the 280 character count on Twitter will be locked into Room 101 forever.

EDIT: For this debate, voting 'yes' means you think the count should be made shorter or longer, and you can justify yourself below. Voting 'no' means the character count is fine as it is, or it doesn't matter.

Taglist

Bit in bold needs an edit
Welcome
Koalifications
Rep:
?
(Original post by starfab)
Bit in bold needs an edit
Welcome
Thanks haha
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think it should be banned, just people who do this need to be able to multi task well or at least look at their phone and know they're not walking into someone or into traffic.
See, I am guilty of using my phone on the go at times, but I can focus around me at the same time and never have bumped into anyone due to this.
Koalifications
Rep:
?
I don't think it should be banned, just people who do this need to be able to multi task well or at least look at their phone and know they're not walking into someone or into traffic.
See, I am guilty of using my phone on the go at times, but I can focus around me at the same time and never have bumped into anyone due to this.
I agree to some extent, although I'd say a large proportion of people who do this cannot multi task well, which is why the Netherlands have built traffic lights into some of their pavements to help smartphone users cross the road safely. It would be very difficult to monitor who can and cannot multi task well, and so how would we sort out the fact that many people die each year from walking out onto roads whilst looking at their phones? The traffic light system I just described received criticism from many people, and so what can be done?
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I agree to some extent, although I'd say a large proportion of people who do this cannot multi task well, which is why the Netherlands have built traffic lights into some of their pavements to help smartphone users cross the road safely. It would be very difficult to monitor who can and cannot multi task well, and so how would we sort out the fact that many people die each year from walking out onto roads whilst looking at their phones? The traffic light system I just described received criticism from many people, and so what can be done?
This is a case of, each individual should have enough sense to identify whether or not they can safely multi task using the phone whilst walking.
Easy test, try it somewhere safe with distractions. Can't manage, don't walk with it.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well given I nominated this, you can guess which way I voted.
Koalifications
Rep:
?
This is a case of, each individual should have enough sense to identify whether or not they can safely multi task using the phone whilst walking.
Easy test, try it somewhere safe with distractions. Can't manage, don't walk with it.
The thing is, people may not always follow this. For example, whilst people know that driving through a red light is illegal and dangerous, some people still do this. Simply telling people will not work. In my opinion, warning people of the risks (albeit obvious) may be better, as it will deter them from walking across the street on their phone.
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Well given I nominated this, you can guess which way I voted.
No leeway under any condition?
The thing is, people may not always follow this. For example, whilst people know that driving through a red light is illegal and dangerous, some people still do this. Simply telling people will not work. In my opinion, warning people of the risks (albeit obvious) may be better, as it will deter them from walking across the street on their phone.
Sure, warn of the risks, just don't see a need for sanctions on it
Koalifications
Rep:
?
Sure, warn of the risks, just don't see a need for sanctions on it
I agree, and also because monitoring this will be incredibly difficult.
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I agree, and also because monitoring this will be incredibly difficult.
Imagine fines like they do for driving and using the phone :rofl:
Koalifications
Rep:
?
Imagine fines like they do for driving and using the phone :rofl:
That would be a pain...
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That would be a pain...
Agreed
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (38)
26.03%
No (108)
73.97%

Watched Threads