What do I have to know about pulse broadening and absorption?

Watch
FuryBall
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

In the specification, it says "understand the principles and consequences of pulse broadening and absorption". Can't find anything useful online.

Could someone give an explanation of what this is?
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by FuryBall)
Hi,

In the specification, it says "understand the principles and consequences of pulse broadening and absorption". Can't find anything useful online.

Could someone give an explanation of what this is?
assuming the context is fibre optic communications

for pulse broadening... imagine a straight optical fibre with light going down it.

light rays travelling straight down the axis of the fibre core travel the shortest distance and so reach the far end of the fibre in the shortest possible time. light rays entering the core at a small angle to the axis will be reflected internally a few times before emerging. These rays have a longer path because the core has a non zero diameter. because they've travlled a longer path they take a greater time to travel the length of the fibre.

rays that enter the fibre at the same time will emerge from the other end at different times - short duration pulses of light used for digital signalling will emerge as wider duration pulses - and it's a limit on the rate you can send digital information through a long fibre because in that situation you would like one pulses, one pulse following another in as short a time as possible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (59)
29.06%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.39%
No I am happy with my choice (113)
55.67%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.88%

Watched Threads