The Student Room Group

Are there other means of funding except student finance

The further education courses I'm studying in to then go to university is a private institution thus it doesn't directly get funded through student finance, it gets funded through aim awards, and aim awards gets funded through student finance, and aim awards gives the money to the college, but I applied late for it while I was in the course and aim awards have stopped receiving applications from student finance as they've closed it temporarily to then reopen it and my headmaster is telling me that I have to give them the full fee which is 3000 pounds myself, and I told him to wait for applications to open and he said no, I am only 20 years old with no parental support and barely a roof over my head and he knows that, but he says there needs to be some means of funding in between right now, otherwise your not gonna be registered on the course, and applications are back open next month for student finance and he is not gonna wait for that, it just doesn't add up, he says we need funding now as an insurance and when student finance pays next month we give you back the money, he is not willing to help or bare with me until next months application, I think he is lying because it does smell kinda fishy as this is a small private college in London Harrow and Wealdstone.

Anyways he is threatening to kick me off the course, so is there any other means of student funding in which I can give the 3 thousand and a quarter pounds to the college, examples being charities etc.

Thank you all in advance
Original post by Efron
The further education courses I'm studying in to then go to university is a private institution thus it doesn't directly get funded through student finance, it gets funded through aim awards, and aim awards gets funded through student finance, and aim awards gives the money to the college, but I applied late for it while I was in the course and aim awards have stopped receiving applications from student finance as they've closed it temporarily to then reopen it and my headmaster is telling me that I have to give them the full fee which is 3000 pounds myself, and I told him to wait for applications to open and he said no, I am only 20 years old with no parental support and barely a roof over my head and he knows that, but he says there needs to be some means of funding in between right now, otherwise your not gonna be registered on the course, and applications are back open next month for student finance and he is not gonna wait for that, it just doesn't add up, he says we need funding now as an insurance and when student finance pays next month we give you back the money, he is not willing to help or bare with me until next months application, I think he is lying because it does smell kinda fishy as this is a small private college in London Harrow and Wealdstone.

Anyways he is threatening to kick me off the course, so is there any other means of student funding in which I can give the 3 thousand and a quarter pounds to the college, examples being charities etc.

Thank you all in advance

Unfortunately not. you could try for a bank loan from Future Finance, but you dont have independent wealth or an income.

I thought you said you had already been awarded the Access course fees and I was surprised you qualified as I didnt think that you should at the time and nor would you for mainstream student finance as its the same test.

I see you have already contacted SFE on these forums and they have explained what you need to do to qualify.

If I were in your position, then I would get a job, self teach and wait till I had 3 years residence, then apply to student finance or advanced leaner loans.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Unfortunately not. you could try for a bank loan from Future Finance, but you dont have independent wealth or an income.

I thought you said you had already been awarded the Access course fees and I was surprised you qualified as I didnt think that you should at the time and nor would you for mainstream student finance as its the same test.

I see you have already contacted SFE on these forums and they have explained what you need to do to qualify.

If I were in your position, then I would get a job, self teach and wait till I had 3 years residence, then apply to student finance or advanced leaner loans.

I do have 3 years residence, I don't evan have a duel citizenship, I've only got a British passport and I've been in this country since nursery, taking a holiday for a couple of weeks and then coming back while frequently taking them again while still having residence here is not classed as being an international student, it is my right to get funding like anybody else.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Efron
I do have 3 years residence, I don't evan have a duel citizenship, I've only got a British passport and I've been in this country since nursery, taking a holiday for a couple of weeks and then coming back while frequently taking them again while still having residence here is not classed as being an international student, it is my right to get funding like anybody else.

This is the trouble with you Efron. You ask questions and then you just end up arguing with people willing to spend the time to help.

If you believe you qualify for the advanced learner loan { I had my doubts before, but you have a habit of not disclosing full details either] or whatever funding you have then take it up with SLC and the college. Someone can then FULLY assess your entitlement and whether you meet the criteria or do not.
Reply 4
This is the trouble with you Efron. You ask questions and then you just end up arguing with people willing to spend the time to help.

If you believe you qualify for the advanced learner loan { I had my doubts before, but you have a habit of not disclosing full details either] or whatever funding you have then take it up with SLC and the college. Someone can then FULLY assess your entitlement and whether you meet the criteria or do not.

Thanks, I know that i am entitled as would anybody who grew up in the UK for the past 20 years.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Efron
Thanks, I know that i am entitled as would anybody who grew up in the UK for the past 20 years.

Well you should have no problem explaining it to SFE.
Reply 6
Well you should have no problem explaining it to SFE.

Dont they just know about this without me explaining, seeing as there parent organisations with the home office.
Original post by Efron
Dont they just know about this without me explaining, seeing as there parent organisations with the home office.

If you know as much about the system as you say you do then you should know that different departments in general in the UK don't talk to each other at all. The home office will not be communicating with SFE and vice versa about anything without you initiating it first.
Original post by Efron

If you want money, then its up to you to give them the information and evidence to show them you qualify.
If you cant be bothered, then tell hem you shouldnt have to explain and see how far that gets you.
HO isnt a parent organisation.

Normally in life it is best just to comply with the rules to get what you want.
Take it to the SFE forum and you can tell them directly like last time.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
If you want money, then its up to you to give them the information and evidence to show them you qualify.
If you cant be bothered, then tell hem you shouldnt have to explain and see how far that gets you.
HO isnt a parent organisation.

Normally in life it is best just to comply with the rules to get what you want.

Yes, Home Office is a parent organisation to student finance
Original post by Efron

Ok. Are you sure you need to go to university at all?
Original post by Efron

A parent organisation means a different organisation. They're controlled at the very top by the same people but the people who actually work in each organisation have enough to do without sitting there and matching up their records with the other organisation's. You have to speak to them first to ask them to do this as it's really not a routine thing at all and it will never happen unless you ask.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Ok. Are you sure you need to go to university at all?

Hahahaha
Original post by Efron

Thank you all in advance

Hi Efron,

As we have no access to specific accounts you should call the Advanced Learner Loans Team on 0300 100 0619, where they can dicuss the course eligibility with you.

(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm and between 9.00am and 4.00pm on Saturday. Local call rates apply).

Regards Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending