Mgo (Magnesium oxide ) has ionic bonding . NOT covalent bonding Or metalic bonding.

Watch
c23xy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Metals with non-metals form ionic bonds. non-metals with other non-metals form covalent bonds and A metalic bond holds atoms of a metal together NOT between a compound.In this case Magnesium (Mg) is a group 2 element and its an Alkali earth metal and oxygen is in group 6 and its a non-metal. So MgO forms an IONIC BOND. By the definition of 'ionic bond' both magnesium and oxygen COMPLETELY share their electrons and become oppositely charged ions, ( Mg ion will have a
+2 charge on it and oxide ion will have a -2 charge on it) the electrostatic attraction between these two ions are said to be the Ionic Bond. Another evidence for this will be the "electron density plot" . this electron density plot will show ZERO electron density between Mg(+2) ion and Oxide (-2) ion. so Again we can come to a conclusion that Mgo consist an ionic bond ,not a covalent bond.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (193)
14.33%
I'm not sure (59)
4.38%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.18%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.75%
I'm not a current university student (665)
49.37%

Watched Threads