The Student Room Group

Border Force Officer / Assistant 2018

This discussion is for anyone applying for a border force officer or assistant role as part of the 2018 Capita led campaign.

This is for the STATIC role and not the mobile roles previously advertised.

Scroll to see replies

I applied yesterday for Manchester. I'm yet to hear anything about the online tests though!
I applied on Saturday 31st and not heard either so don’t worry!
Update for you, i was supposed to post earlier but i forgot. Spoke to the recruitment team. Everyone who applies will get an online test. They are being released in batches starting next week. Hope that helps.
I’ve just come on to update the same. They are being worked on now and we will all get an online test over the next couple of weeks depending on when you applied. 👍
Reply 5
In the candidate information pack it says "you should normally have been resident in the UK for the last 5 years". I did my compulsory year abroad from 2013-2014 (France/Germany) and also spent just under a year in Germany in 2016-17. Does anyone know if this would affect my application at all? I'm a UK citizen and meet all the entry requirements but the wording of that particular sentence seems a bit unclear to me.
Original post by Rhi93
In the candidate information pack it says "you should normally have been resident in the UK for the last 5 years". I did my compulsory year abroad from 2013-2014 (France/Germany) and also spent just under a year in Germany in 2016-17. Does anyone know if this would affect my application at all? I'm a UK citizen and meet all the entry requirements but the wording of that particular sentence seems a bit unclear to me.

I think the best things to do is call the candidate helpline in working hours? It’s on the website 😊
If by compulsory year abroad you mean armed forces then that’s usually acceptable. In any case you’d have to ring up and ask Capita to query it.
Reply 8
Original post by Abc3534
If by compulsory year abroad you mean armed forces then that’s usually acceptable. In any case you’d have to ring up and ask Capita to query it.

It was my compulsory year abroad for my languages degree. I also can't put in my degree properly, although it was a 4-year undergrad we were awarded an MA at the end (little quirk of the Scottish system).

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll phone them up.
I was wondering if someone might be able to help me please. I am applying for border force position and the questions on the application form seem to be generic ones and not directly asking any competency questions. I’m familiar with STAR format but I don’t see how I would apply it to questions such as ‘why do you think you would be a good officer?’ And ‘which team was the best team you worked in and why?’ Any help would be much appreciated!
Hello,
STAR works well for competency based questions but these are strengths based questions.

I used the following for guidance .... https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/interview-tips/strength-based-interviews

Hope this helps and good luck 😉
Original post by shell_xx_shell
Hello,
STAR works well for competency based questions but these are strengths based questions.

I used the following for guidance .... https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/interview-tips/strength-based-interviews

Hope this helps and good luck 😉

Thank you, I’ve seen that site and it is helpful but on the form it says to refer to the competencies? This is all very confusing! Did you get similar questions to the ones I wrote previously? Did you answer them just as you would a story or was it more structured? Did you give real life working examples or just explained your strengths? I’m just a bit confused on how I need to answer these questions!
Original post by Sierra20180
Thank you, I’ve seen that site and it is helpful but on the form it says to refer to the competencies? This is all very confusing! Did you get similar questions to the ones I wrote previously? Did you answer them just as you would a story or was it more structured? Did you give real life working examples or just explained your strengths? I’m just a bit confused on how I need to answer these questions!

And also what is capita? I’m based in the southeast and applying for London, I’ve not heard of capita
Capita is the outsourced company managing the recruitment. You sure you have applied for the same thing?
Yes questions are the same. There are the same 4 for everyone. I’m not going to type out an answer but for example ....why do you think you will be a good border force officer?
Talk about the strengths you have ... eg one of the compentancy for the role is blah blah blah and I have the ability to meet this because I am dedicated, etc etc ... link any strength you are giving examples of back to the info in the candidate pack.

That’s what I did. 😊
Yes questions are the same. There are the same 4 for everyone. I’m not going to type out an answer but for example ....why do you think you will be a good border force officer?
Talk about the strengths you have ... eg one of the compentancy for the role is blah blah blah and I have the ability to meet this because I am dedicated, etc etc ... link any strength you are giving examples of back to the info in the candidate pack.

That’s what I did. 😊

Thank you, I appreciate the help. Also you mentioned that the online tests will be available from next week but the deadline for application submission isn’t until 22ndApril so how come they are going to be sending out tests already? I haven’t yet submitted my application, I will be doing that tomorrow hopefully. Where did you apply to work?
Also the salary is different on the site to the home Office site, could someone please clarify what it is if you know? Thanks
Original post by Sierra20180
Thank you, I appreciate the help. Also you mentioned that the online tests will be available from next week but the deadline for application submission isn’t until 22ndApril so how come they are going to be sending out tests already? I haven’t yet submitted my application, I will be doing that tomorrow hopefully. Where did you apply to work?

Ok so your application is received and then you get the online tests....if you pass the online tests then your 4 questions go to be reviewed so everyone will sit the online tests.

I have applied for BHX.
Again any questions about the pay ask capita to confirm when you call.
Ok so your application is received and then you get the online tests....if you pass the online tests then your 4 questions go to be reviewed so everyone will sit the online tests.

I have applied for BHX.
Again any questions about the pay ask capita to confirm when you call.

What’s BHX? Sorry!
BHX is the IATA airport code for Birmingham Airport. Maybe you should practice a few, they will come in handy in this line of work

Quick Reply