The Student Room Group

When to stand on sprained ankle?

I sprained my ankle 4 days ago. I woke up this morning and the swelling has gone down considerably, the ankle shape is more prominent and it’s only missing the thinness of the ankle shape - If that makes sense... 😂

It hurts a little bit on the side I sprained it but that’s to be expected as ankle sprains can take weeks to fully heal.

Can I stand on it now? I’ve been using crutches and hopping for the past few days, as well as keeping it elevated and iced. If it hurts then I’ll stop standing on it, but is it okay to stand on it so soon afterwards? My friend sprained her ankle a few months ago and was on crutches for about 3 weeks (but she was drunk when it happened and walked in it a lot when it was sprained and I stopped walking immediately).
Original post by hatcs001
I sprained my ankle 4 days ago. I woke up this morning and the swelling has gone down considerably, the ankle shape is more prominent and it’s only missing the thinness of the ankle shape - If that makes sense... 😂

It hurts a little bit on the side I sprained it but that’s to be expected as ankle sprains can take weeks to fully heal.

Can I stand on it now? I’ve been using crutches and hopping for the past few days, as well as keeping it elevated and iced. If it hurts then I’ll stop standing on it, but is it okay to stand on it so soon afterwards? My friend sprained her ankle a few months ago and was on crutches for about 3 weeks (but she was drunk when it happened and walked in it a lot when it was sprained and I stopped walking immediately).

Phone your GP and ask to be sure.
Reply 2
Original post by hatcs001

Pharmacy should be able to advise you. I would personally go for limited pressure until it feels close to normal again, but that's a totally uneducated guess so pharmacy would be a better call. NHS website may also be able to help. :smile:
Whenever I've sprained an ankle or even tore a ligament, I was told to try to walk on it. I think it prevents it from getting stiff and encourages healing but if it's too painful, rest it for a couple of days before trying to walk on it. There will be guidance on how to care for a sprained ankle online - it's not something to see a doctor about unless it gets worse!

Quick Reply

Latest