Anyone studying Hamlet, Dystopia, Chaucer or Malfi??? Watch

anonymous4444
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I'm doing OCR English Lit.
Dystopia side is okay - not sure how many quotes I should learn though?

But I'm so behind with the second paper (Hamlet and Chaucer/Malfi)

Because there's no choice of question for Hamlet that means anything could come up??? How am I supposed to learn loads of textual quotes as well as critical quotes/interpretations about everything? Surely there's not enough to say for the other characters???

As for Chaucer & Malfi there are no similarities???

I don't know what to do!
stephaniekelly01
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by anonymous4444)
I'm doing OCR English Lit.
Dystopia side is okay - not sure how many quotes I should learn though?

But I'm so behind with the second paper (Hamlet and Chaucer/Malfi)

Because there's no choice of question for Hamlet that means anything could come up??? How am I supposed to learn loads of textual quotes as well as critical quotes/interpretations about everything? Surely there's not enough to say for the other characters???

As for Chaucer & Malfi there are no similarities???

I don't know what to do!
Hi, I'm studying all those, except we haven't looked at Malfi yet. The Hamlet question A will always be an extract which is just close language analysis, so as long as you learn to recognise the language form and structure and practice spotting those techniques and writing them into an essay coherently, that's all you can really do for part A. Part B will always be a follow on, just like GSCE, so if part A was the scene when polonius gives ophelia advice, then part B might be "In Hamlet the male characters give the females advice which ultimately leads to their demise" and then you would have to argue that with critical quotes and actual quotes. Hamlet has a few clear themes (Revenge, Madness, Women, Death, Plotting/Planning) so if you mind map and Q card quotes for those themes, maybe 10 of the best for each, and likewise read around online find maybe 2 critical quotes for each theme, then if you had the question on men giving bad advice to women, some of the quotes from women, death and plotting and planning would be relevant and you can put these into your essay. I haven't learnt any quotes really but I'm just going to try and write them out onto a word document and stick the themes around my house and then put them all on q-cards, and this is for all my quotes really. Another nice thing you can do is watch all the movies and see which director did what, and mention this in your essay. Sorry this is a bit rushed, but the advice for Merchants and duchess is essentially the same. Good Luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (61)
14.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (41)
10.05%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
19.12%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (125)
30.64%

Watched Threads