What can be made in a single step from benzene?

Watch
Kalabamboo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Name:  81.PNG
Views: 93
Size:  142.7 KB
Can somebody help please? Answer is B
Lia22
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
methylbenzene

Through friedel-Crafts Alkylation
Kalabamboo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lia22)
methylbenzene

Through friedel-Crafts Alkylation
isn't friedel craft 2 steps though: creating the carbocation and then substituting on benzene?
Also why not the other?
username2337287
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Phenol formation through biotransformation , involving Cytochrome P450E1, although the hydroxyl radical hydroxyaltes benzene to yield phenol. But, the hydroxyl radical derives from hydrogen peroxide. Pheno formation can only then occur, through hydroxyl radical-mediated formation, involving addition of a hydroxyl radical to the benzene ring. Perhaps this is 2 or even 3 steps?
Benzene + a hydroxyl radical = phenol.

There is an alternative mechanism which involes a two step process, in which benzene oxide is the first product, which can reaarrange non-enzymatically to form phenol, it is known as the Benzene oxide-oxepin system.
Kalabamboo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Science99999)
Phenol formation through biotransformation , involving Cytochrome P450E1, although the hydroxyl radical hydroxyaltes benzene to yield phenol.

There is an alternative mechanism which involes a two step process, in which benzene oxide is the first product, which can reaarrange non-enzymatically to form phenol, it is known as the Benzene oxide-oxepin system.
I am still a bit confused. Could you please explain it to me in A level standard? would be much appreciated
Dat1Guy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Interesting yes. Well we know phenyl amine has to be made from benzene nitrate which is made from benzene, not 1 step.
Phenol can be made from substitution from chlorobenzene, so this is also not 1 step.
Benzoic acid can be made in friedel-crafts acylation and then you'd have to remove the methyl group and substitute in an -OH group, hence more than 1 step, and methylbenzene, friedel-crafts alkylation, which will not require a 2nd 'major step'
Dat1Guy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Science99999)
Phenol formation through biotransformation , involving Cytochrome P450E1, although the hydroxyl radical hydroxyaltes benzene to yield phenol. But, the hydroxyl radical derives from hydrogen peroxide. Pheno formation can only then occur, through hydroxyl radical-mediated formation, involving addition of a hydroxyl radical to the benzene ring. Perhaps this is 2 or even 3 steps?

What about substituting in -OH from chlorobenzene, which is more easily formed?
username2337287
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kalabamboo)
I am still a bit confused. Could you please explain it to me in A level standard? would be much appreciated
The initial metabolic pathway for benzene biotransformation begins with phenol formation. Cytochrome P450/2E1 can produce hydrogen peroxide when acting as an oxidase of Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADPH). NADPH is a cofactor used in anabolic reactions such as lipid and nucleic acid synthesis, donating electrons (reducing agent) and hydrogen atoms . The hydroxyl radicals formed from hydrogen peroxide can hydroxylate benzene to yield phenol, through hydroxyl radical-mediated phenol formation, involving addition of a hydroxyl radical to the benzene ring. Phenol formation may also occur during rearrangement of benzene oxide.

Im in year 12: This was my essay I made regarding Benzene Oxidase: An enzyme which causes the transfer of a hydrogen atom from a specific substrate to an oxygen molecule, forming water or hydrogen peroxide.
username2337287
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BDunlop)
Interesting yes. Well we know phenyl amine has to be made from benzene nitrate which is made from benzene, not 1 step.
Phenol can be made from substitution from chlorobenzene, so this is also not 1 step.
Benzoic acid can be made in friedel-crafts acylation and methylbenzene, friedel-crafts alkylation..there must be some difference in the relative ease of forming methylbenzene over acylation of benzene, else i can't think how it could be '1 step' over acylation.
Although phenol can be made through hydroxyl radical-mediated addition where a hydroxyl radical is added to the the benzene ring, to yield phneol.
Kalabamboo
Rep:
?
Thanks guys
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (208)
33.44%
No (414)
66.56%

Watched Threads