Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand this concept listed in the OCR 21st Century specification, can someone please help me understand. Thanks.
    'When metals react they form ionic compounds. The metal atoms gain one
    or more electrons to become positive ions.'
    Electrons are negatively charged so surely when a metal atom gains one or more electrons it becomes negatively charged not positive?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Shanai Lauren)
    I don't understand this concept listed in the OCR 21st Century specification, can someone please help me understand. Thanks.
    'When metals react they form ionic compounds. The metal atoms gain one
    or more electrons to become positive ions.'
    Electrons are negatively charged so surely when a metal atom gains one or more electrons it becomes negatively charged not positive?
    It looks like there is a typo in the specification. Metal atoms always lose electrons.

ReputationRep:
    Metal atoms will always lose one or more electrons to become positively charged ions, they form ionic compounds due to the electrons they lose keeping a constant flow of charge from one pole to another, therefore holding the structure together.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 7, 2018

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.