The Student Room Group

Biochem summer lab work

I posted this on the temporary jobs forum too, but I'm thinking here might be better (sorry if that's not allowed).

Hi,

I’m looking for a lab placement for over the summer, and I’m really struggling to find anything at this point. I don’t have any lab experience outside of uni work/modules, and I’m desperate to find some. I’ve applied for three, but my tutor didn’t do the reference for one, so I lost out (John Innes Centre). The other is supposed to email successful applicants in early April, and I haven’t heard back, so I’m assuming I didn’t get it (mrc Cambridge). The last I hear back next week, but I’m not feeling hopeful. There’s an interview if I do get through and I doubt I’ll be successful.

I had started looking from last summer, but I really didn’t know what I wanted to do, so I didn’t contact an academic about a Studentship at my uni or apply for funding. I tried GSK, but my January exams only averaged a 2:2, so I assumed my predicted to be that and didn’t get past stage 1.

Anyway, I’m starting to worry and stress even more now. I really need lab experience, but work for biochemistry is so difficult to find. I keep seeing the Sanger Institute pop up, and I have job alerts on, but I’ve never seen any actual evidence of them having summer placements. Have I missed something? Or do they usually have really late application dates? Does anyone have any suggestions for biochemistry lab work over the summer? Preferably paid, but at this point I’m fine with eating into my SF for travel and accommodation. I’m so sick of finding funding suggestions, but no actual placements, and I can’t afford to do nothing this summer!

Thanks (sorry it’s so long)!
@Steampunk_Kitty if you’re struggling for specific lab placements could you maybe go slightly off piste and try to find experience in something that may not be directly biochem but is still related (so you aren’t wasting your summer)?

It seems like you’ve done everything right in terms of start early and apply to all you can find, so I can’t tell you to improve on that front.

Perhaps look at smaller companies which may not advertise or be as well known?

Best of luck :smile:
Thanks for the reply! I do think if I can’t find anything subject specific I’ll have to find something to get any kind of work experience. And thanks for the advice about smaller companies, I’ll have a look around. My uni also sent some studentship opportunities out yesterday, so it looks like there’s still some hope!
Reply 3
Have you tried Birkbeck? They seem to accept students to intern in the laboratory where I was doing my Master degree project.
Original post by Steampunk_Kitty
Thanks for the reply! I do think if I can’t find anything subject specific I’ll have to find something to get any kind of work experience. And thanks for the advice about smaller companies, I’ll have a look around. My uni also sent some studentship opportunities out yesterday, so it looks like there’s still some hope!

That’s great! Let me know how you get on and if I can help further just give me a shout.

Best of luck with it all! :smile:

Quick Reply