The Student Room Group

Please could somebody help me with this GCSE maths question?

I need to do this without a calculator because I'm estimating but I don't have a clue how to do it without one!

Q1 The volume of a sphere is given by the volume V=4/3pir^3

a) use this formula to estimate the volume of a sphere of radius 9cm

b) will your estimate be bigger or smaller than the actual value?

All help is appreciated 😁
Original post by Mayavalentine
I need to do this without a calculator because I'm estimating but I don't have a clue how to do it without one!

Q1 The volume of a sphere is given by the volume V=4/3pir^3

a) use this formula to estimate the volume of a sphere of radius 9cm

b) will your estimate be bigger or smaller than the actual value?

All help is appreciated 😁

You are estimating the volume by using the approximation π3.14\pi \approx 3.14, right?

So then since 3.14<π3.14 < \pi, is your calculated value 43(3.14)(9)3\frac{4}{3}(3.14)(9)^3 bigger or smaller than 43π(9)3\frac{4}{3}\pi(9)^3 ?
When you estimate you round to 1 s.f.

so pi rounds to 3, and 4/3 pi rounds to 4

There are different schools of thought on what you do about 9^3 and you should check your notes to see which method you have been taught by your teachers.

Some will say that 9 is already to 1 s.f. so you should work with that. Others will say that the point of estimation is to work with numbers that are easily worked with, so round the 9 to 10 because that's easy to cube.

The important thing is to do it the way your teachers have taught you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by DoNotDivideBy0
When you estimate you round to 1 s.f.

so pi rounds to 3, and 4/3 pi rounds to 4

There are different schools of thought on what you do about 9^3 and you should check your notes to see which method you have been taught by your teachers.

Some will say that 9 is already to 1 s.f. so you should work with that. Others will say that the point of estimation is to work with numbers that are easily worked with, so round the 9 to 10 because that's easy to cube.

The important thing is to do it the way your teachers have taught you.

Thank you so much, this seems a lot clearer now

Quick Reply

Latest