The Student Room Group

Firming/insuring unis URGENT

If I firm a uni and insure another one but decide to change this but 14 days has passed, can I still make changes or...?
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
If I firm a uni and insure another one but decide to change this but 14 days has passed, can I still make changes or...?

Have you picked firm and insurance and want to change that decision or are you asking hypothetically?
Original post by PQ
Have you picked firm and insurance and want to change that decision or are you asking hypothetically?

Hpothetically

Ahaha

Thanks a lot, much appreciated!
Ahaha

Thanks a lot, much appreciated!

Swapping firm and insurance is 3 phone calls (each university and UCAS), any other changes are a bit more complex but usually possible (eg changing your firm to an offer you previously declined).
Original post by PQ
Swapping firm and insurance is 3 phone calls (each university and UCAS), any other changes are a bit more complex but usually possible (eg changing your firm to an offer you previously declined).

Ahh, I see...Could I possibly PM you a quick question please? Rather not post on this public forum...
Ahh, I see...Could I possibly PM you a quick question please? Rather not post on this public forum...

I'm afraid I don't offer advice via pm - if you post it here I can reply without quoting and you could delete the post.
Original post by PQ
I'm afraid I don't offer advice via pm - if you post it here I can reply without quoting and you could delete the post.

That would be brilliant, thanks.
(edited 6 years ago)

If you accept the Imperial offer firmly and meet its requirements you will have no need to make such a phone call.

Since you far prefer Imperial the only sure way of getting there is to firmly accept it.

If you are lacking confidence in your results then the surest way of getting in to a medicine school is to firmly accept Birmingham.

If you do the latter, get A*AA and want Brimingham to allow you to go to Imperial you are on very dodgy ground concerned with Imperial not having a place and Birmingham not releasing you in time (if ever).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
If you accept the Imperial offer firmly and meet its requirements you will have no need to make such a phone call.

Since you far prefer Imperial the only sure way of getting there is to firmly accept it.

If you are lacking confidence in your results then the surest way of getting in to a medicine school is to firmly accept Birmingham.

If you do the latter, get A*AA and want Brimingham to allow you to go to Imperial you are on very dodgy ground concerned with Imperial not having a place and Birmingham not releasing you in time (if ever).

Ah yes, I see...I will discuss this with my teachers and see what they think, it's a difficult decision. Thanks for your response and please could I request that you delete your post? Thanks a lot.
That would be brilliant, thanks.

Forget the "if firmed" conditions - any university that says that will almost certainly do the same if they're your insurance.

Pick your favourite university as your firm choice. Have the other university as your insurance - although the offers are going to be technically identical you're still much more likely to get in with a dropped grade at brum than imp. If you firm your second choice then there's no way to get back to your favourite (except a formal swap with agreement from all sides done before 19 July - which would mean brum would revise their offer upwards).

There's no guarantees but picking a university that you're not really happy with as a firm choice is not a great idea.

Your other option would be to firm the lower offer, give it a try on results day if you do well but if that doesn't work and you ace your exams take a gap year and reapply with your grades in hand. You've been successful in getting two med offers this year so you've obviously got a good profile outside your grades.
Ah yes, I see...I will discuss this with my teachers and see what they think, it's a difficult decision. Thanks for your response and please could I request that you delete your post? Thanks a lot.

I have deleted your quoted question but not my answer.
Original post by PQ
Forget the "if firmed" conditions - any university that says that will almost certainly do the same if they're your insurance.

Pick your favourite university as your firm choice. Have the other university as your insurance - although the offers are going to be technically identical you're still much more likely to get in with a dropped grade at brum than imp. If you firm your second choice then there's no way to get back to your favourite (except a formal swap with agreement from all sides done before 19 July - which would mean brum would revise their offer upwards).

There's no guarantees but picking a university that you're not really happy with as a firm choice is not a great idea.

Your other option would be to firm the lower offer, give it a try on results day if you do well but if that doesn't work and you ace your exams take a gap year and reapply with your grades in hand. You've been successful in getting two med offers this year so you've obviously got a good profile outside your grades.

Thanks so much, this has really helped, I think I'll be making some phone calls soon :smile:

Just one thing I want to check, the part where you said:

"if firmed" conditions - any university that says that will almost certainly do the same if they're your insurance.

Where did you get this information from? I don't mean to sound rude or question the accuracy of the information, I've just never heard of this so am intrigued. Thank you in advance!
Original post by Good bloke
I have deleted your quoted question but not my answer.

Thanks, you're a Good bloke :smile:
Thanks so much, this has really helped, I think I'll be making some phone calls soon :smile:

Just one thing I want to check, the part where you said:

"if firmed" conditions - any university that says that will almost certainly do the same if they're your insurance.

Where did you get this information from? I don't mean to sound rude or question the accuracy of the information, I've just never heard of this so am intrigued. Thank you in advance!

From experience. If they want you enough to give you the lowered offer then they want you. They prefer it if applicants firm (makes it easier to manage numbers) but they have stated that they think you are capable of succeeding on their course with those grades.

The only reason that they’d reject you with those grades as insurance choice is if they are full to capacity after taking everyone who met their offer conditions.
Original post by PQ
From experience. If they want you enough to give you the lowered offer then they want you. They prefer it if applicants firm (makes it easier to manage numbers) but they have stated that they think you are capable of succeeding on their course with those grades.

The only reason that they’d reject you with those grades as insurance choice is if they are full to capacity after taking everyone who met their offer conditions.

Ohhhh that makes sense, thanks a bunch, you've been very helpful!
Ohhhh that makes sense, thanks a bunch, you've been very helpful!

You can always ring them up and ask about what would happen. If you explain that you really like the course but have another offer that you think better suits you for firm and want to understand what would happen if you had them as insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending