Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
hey so me and my best friend have put the same uni as our firm place, doing different courses though. It was a coincidence and definitely not an intentional choice, it just turned out that way. Anyway, she can be quite clingy, and I'm more out going, and love meeting new people, which can make her quite jealous at times. I've also been feeling recently like I need a bit of space from her, as we have a very close relationship, but now I feel like I'm not going to get that as we'll be at the same place, at a campus uni next year, and I'm worried she'll want to be together 24/7. My mum knows us both very well and is also concerned that I won't be able to make other friends, or will only have her to talk to .
I definitely don't want to ditch her or anything like that, but I was wondering if anyone else has been to the same uni as their friend, and if you have any advice on how to make other friends and try not to rely on one person so much, and if going to uni affected your relationship with them? also, generally is it a good idea to apply for the same halls if we get the chance?
tamwebster2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Me and my own best friend were going to the same uni but ended up just across the road at different ones. Although you're at the same uni and may be living in the same halls, you'll end up having your own life. I understand we're you're coming from because I felt the same but honestly with doing separate courses you'll have some free time to yourself if you feel like she's clingy. Plus, even if you apply to the same halls, unless you specifically ask to be together you're not likely to be in the same flat so you'll have a different life there too. Don't worry too much about it you can cross the clingy hurdle as it comes!
sharri.coco
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
essays are likely to consume you guys at one point, unfortunately. At freshers week try to get her to meet new people. You'll be joining societies as well as meeting different people on your courses, so she'll definitely end up meeting new people one way or another.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 years ago
From experience, you’re most likely just to drift apart yourselves without effor at uni because uni is a massive place with thousands of student (depending on where you go) so you’re going meet soo many new people and she will two in which you’ll slowly begin to drift apart and the fact that both of you are doing different courses, just adds the time you will spend apart from eachother. Also about the issue in applying for the same halls- I’ll recommend you do what you feel is right for you because if a friendship wasn’t meant to be then it wasn’t meant to be
Anonymous #2
Report 3 years ago
From experience, you’re most likely just to drift apart yourselves without effort at uni because uni is a massive place with thousands of student (depending on where you go) so you’re going meet soo many new people and she will too in which you’ll slowly begin to drift apart and the fact that both of you are doing different courses, just adds the time you will spend apart from eachother. Also about the issue in applying for the same halls- I’ll recommend you do what you feel is right for you because if a friendship wasn’t meant to be then it wasn’t meant to be
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by tamwebster2)
Me and my own best friend were going to the same uni but ended up just across the road at different ones. Although you're at the same uni and may be living in the same halls, you'll end up having your own life. I understand we're you're coming from because I felt the same but honestly with doing separate courses you'll have some free time to yourself if you feel like she's clingy. Plus, even if you apply to the same halls, unless you specifically ask to be together you're not likely to be in the same flat so you'll have a different life there too. Don't worry too much about it you can cross the clingy hurdle as it comes!
(Original post by sharri.coco)
essays are likely to consume you guys at one point, unfortunately. At freshers week try to get her to meet new people. You'll be joining societies as well as meeting different people on your courses, so she'll definitely end up meeting new people one way or another.
(Original post by Anonymous)
From experience, you’re most likely just to drift apart yourselves without effor at uni because uni is a massive place with thousands of student (depending on where you go) so you’re going meet soo many new people and she will two in which you’ll slowly begin to drift apart and the fact that both of you are doing different courses, just adds the time you will spend apart from eachother. Also about the issue in applying for the same halls- I’ll recommend you do what you feel is right for you because if a friendship wasn’t meant to be then it wasn’t meant to be

These were all really reassuring, I feel bit less worried about it now aha thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (61)
22.34%
Excited but a bit nervous (124)
45.42%
Not bothered either way (35)
12.82%
I'm really nervous (53)
19.41%

Watched Threads