~BrielleHoney~
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
If A:B is 2:5 and C is 3:1 and C is sharing twice as much money as A:B how the hell do I find A:B:C

Stupid emoji correcting D to grin
Lexi4096
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If A:B is in the ratio of 2:5 then A can be expressed as 2x and B can be expressed as 5x. Equally, C can be expressed as 3y and D as 1y. Try to find y in terms of x using the fact that C and D is sharing twice as much money as A and D and then go from there. If you still don't get it then I can tell you what I did next
~BrielleHoney~
Rep:
?
Thanks I was a little mad when I posted the question lol
~BrielleHoney~
Rep:
?
I've turned it into an equation but I still don't get it
DoNotDivideBy0
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well ... you have 7 parts in the first ratio, so this can be re-expressed in any ratio provided the sum of the parts is a multiple of 7.

You have 4 parts in the second ratio, so this can be re-expressed in any ratio provided the sum of the parts is a multiple of 4.

You also have the problem that the amount that you are dividing in the second ratio is twice the amount that you are dividing in the first ratio ... so you need to find a value for the number of parts (x) in the first ratio such that 2x is an amount which can be divided in the second ratio (i.e. it is a multiple of 4).

So ... examine the multiples of 7 and ask the question of each one whether, when you double it, you get a number which is divisible by 4.

As soon as you do, divide that number in the ratio 2:5 for your ratio A:B; and divide double that number in the ratio 3:1 for your ratio C: D, and then put them all together for your composite ratio A:B:C: D
~BrielleHoney~
Rep:
?
Thanks for the help! I get it now
DoNotDivideBy0
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ~BrielleHoney~)
Thanks for the help! I get it now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.52%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (355)
29.29%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.68%

Watched Threads