The Student Room Group

Constant acceleration help

A particle P passes through point A with velocity 2.8ms-1 and constant acceleration 0.12ms-2. Three seconds later a second particle Q passes through A with velocity 2.4ms-1 and constant acceleration 0.2ms-2.

Write down expressions for the displacements of P and Q from A, in terms of t, where t s is the time after P passed through A.

Im confused on where to start with this problem, do I have to use SUVAT equations?
Yes.

s=ut+at22s=ut+\frac{at^2}{2}
Original post by RogerOxon
Yes.

s=ut+at22s=ut+\frac{at^2}{2}

Ok, so I got
For P:
S = 2.8(t) + (0.12)t2 / 2 , which simplifies to S = 2.8t + 0.06t2.

For Q:
S = 2.4(t) + (0.2)t2 /2 , which simplifies to S = 2.4 + 0.1t2.

Is this correct so far?
Original post by charlesbrowns
Ok, so I got
For P:
S = 2.8(t) + (0.12)t2 / 2 , which simplifies to S = 2.8t + 0.06t2.

For Q:
S = 2.4(t) + (0.2)t2 /2 , which simplifies to S = 2.4 + 0.1t2.

Is this correct so far?

Check your equation for Q. You need to use the same t as for P, but Q starts 3s later.
Q passes A at t=3s. You therefore need to replace 't' in your equation for Q with an expression that equals 0 at t=3s. Can you see what that is?
Q passes A at t=3s. You therefore need to replace 't' in your equation for Q with an expression that equals 0 at t=3s. Can you see what that is?

Im sorry but I do not see how I can do this, could you possibly post the solution and therefore I can work backwards to see where it is that I am getting confused.
Im sorry but I do not see how I can do this, could you possibly post the solution and therefore I can work backwards to see where it is that I am getting confused.

Your expresion for 't' in the equation for Q needs to be 0 when t=3s. It needs to be 1 when t=4s, and 2 when t=5s. As Q starts at t=3s, but the equation assumes that it starts at t=0s.

If I were to write (t-1) instead of t, then that expression would equal 0 at t=1s.
If I were to write (t-2) instead of t, then that expression would equal 0 at t=2s.

What do I need to replace t with for it to equal 0 at t=3s?
Your expresion for 't' in the equation for Q needs to be 0 when t=3s. It needs to be 1 when t=4s, and 2 when t=5s. As Q starts at t=3s, but the equation assumes that it starts at t=0s.

If I were to write (t-1) instead of t, then that expression would equal 0 at t=1s.
If I were to write (t-2) instead of t, then that expression would equal 0 at t=2s.

What do I need to replace t with for it to equal 0 at t=3s?

Wow, I feel stupid. I dont know why I couldnt see that.

So now For Q:
S = 2.4(t-3)+0.2(t-3)2 / 2, which simplifies to 0.1t2 + 1.8t -6.3

and for part b, it says show that when particles meet, 2t2-50t-315=0

I would equate my equation for P and Q:
2.8t + 0.06t2 = 0.1t2 + 1.8t -6.3
simplify to get:
0.04t2-1t-6.3 = 0
and show that by multiplying by 50, I get 2t2-50t-315=0.
Right?

Thank you for the help.
(edited 6 years ago)
Looks right to me.
Looks right to me.

Now it says, find the distance from A when the two particles meet.

Am I supposed to find t from the equaton when the two particles meet and sub that into another SUVAT equation?
Now it says, find the distance from A when the two particles meet.

Am I supposed to find t from the equaton when the two particles meet and sub that into another SUVAT equation?

Yes. Take the positive solution for t and use it in either of your equations - they'll give the same value for s.

Quick Reply

Latest