Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Can anyone give me anything to analyse their relationship using quotes
Big Boy58
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
When Lady Macbeth says "When you durst do it then you were a man."

This shows Lady Macbeth is manipulative as she is twisting the idea of manhood to suit her aims and the leader of their marriage as she is in control
thrifty_reviser
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Act 1 Scene 7 Lines 35-36
'Was the hope drunk/ Wherein you dressed yourself? Hath it slept since?

Lady Macbeth is mocking Macbeth here and is questioning whether Macbeth still wants to be king (ridiculing the idea of him changing his mind). The noun 'hope' is personified making it seem as a seperating entity acting on its own accord which shows that Lady Macbeth thinks that Macbeth has no control over his mind. [Might be a stretch]

Act 1 Scene 5 Lines 11-12
'my dearest partner of/ greatness'

Macbeth clearly loves his wife and treats her with lots of care and respect due to the superlative 'dearest'
Macbeth also consults with his wife.

Act 1 Scene 7 Lines 49-51
'when you durst do it, then you were a man'

Lady Macbeth questions Macbeth's manhood and forces her expectations onto him. This is directly constrated to Macbeth's exploits on the battlefield earlier on the play, when he was portrayed as a brave, valiant hero.
Becca G
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
“Give me the daggers. The sleeping and the dead are but as pictures. ‘Tis the eye of childhood that fears a painted devil.” - this is a really effective yet frequently used quotation that will make you stand out to examiners.Here, Lady Macbeth attempts to emasculate her husband by implying that he is too childish and cowardly to return to the murder scene and replace the daggers there. She begins by commanding him to give her the daggers- or metaphorically hand over the role of leadership- before suggesting that there’s no difference in appearance between dead and sleeping people. Due to her lack of remorse, guilt or respect for those Macbeth has murdered, the audience begins to see her ruthless character. But she also suggests that Macbeth is cowardly by comparing his ‘fears’ to a child’s, which shows the power dynamic in their relationship.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.65%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.41%
No, but I want to start (265)
37.59%
No, I am unable to (167)
23.69%
No, I chose not to (195)
27.66%