Can I become a solicitor with a law and sociology degree?

Watch
Hunter1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I would like to become a solicitor but i'm wondering if its preferred to have a law degree? but as I really enjoy the two subjects, i'd like to merge them.
lolly12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Where are you planning on studying this degree? You would have to make sure that the law aspect of it is a qualifying law degree; not all law courses are qualifying law degrees and without it being qualifying, you would not be able to become a solictor without the hassle of having to another course to make it qualifying.
cchick3
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My dad works with some of the top lawyers in london and i also want to go into law.
it doesnt really matter what degree you take as it has often been suggested that people prefer you to have a wider scope rather than an intense knowledge of law.
you do have take another course afterwards to qualify but it works out better in the long run x
DoNotDivideBy0
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have been involved in the recruitment of lawyers and can promise you that its the qualities you can demonstrate in your application and at interview, not the title of your degree, which is going to determine whether or not you land the job you want.

I have worked with many fine lawyers who do not have law degrees. It is not an issue. Get a good degree, show passion and commitment ... these matter far more than if your degree is law or something else.

If you do a mixed honours degree though (law and sociology, say) do make sure that it contains all the right legal papers to be a "qualifying law degree" (your university will almost certainly ensure this anyway ... but do ask and make absolutely certain that it will be). Unless things have changed while my back is turned, in order to be a "qualifying law degree" it must include the study of the following 7 subjects:

Criminal Law
Tort Law
Contract Law
Constitutional & Administrative Law
Land Law
Trusts / Equity
EU Law

Whether the seventh (which was added after I qualified as a solicitor) will be dropped again following Brexit remains to be seen
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hunter1234)
I would like to become a solicitor but i'm wondering if its preferred to have a law degree? but as I really enjoy the two subjects, i'd like to merge them.
50% of the intake for trainee lawyers have non law degrees.

If you do a joint degree, then you are likely to need extra exams to cover the core areas you may have missed.

Alternatively instead of a joint you could do a major/ minor, which covers all the core options and then you could do sociology on top. That would help you avoid the extra year.

By not doing law you can catch up, but by doing law you do more depth and a wider range of subjects. Up to you to decide.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, QLD or not could well not matter by the time you go to university. SQE will likely be in force. Then your lawyer-track status will depend on what you know and not what modules your degree has.

In that case, your LLB or degree will be preparation for the SQE1 exam (taken outside of your LLB, it would seem). In essence, what's relevant is whether your degree gives you enough of a law education that you're able to pass this SQE1 stage. (I emphasise pass because that's the only grade available, other than fail and it's not going to be that hard to pass.) If it does not provide you with adequate preparation, for example because you don't take land law, you could teach yourself omitted content in your own time outside of the course.

For SQE1 you will need to pass assessments on: admin law/English legal system, contract and tort, property law, commercial and corporate, equity, criminal, and lastly a legal researching writing paper.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise