The Student Room Group

Does anyone have any experience with this condition?

It's called erythema multiforme. I've just been to the doctor for a second time about what I thought were insect bites on my legs, but she's told me it's most likely this condition. I've bought a hydrocortisone cream from the pharmacy like my doctor advised, so I will be trying that to see if it helps.

Has anyone else experienced it? If so, what helped you get rid of it? Do you know what caused it?
No personal experience, sorry, but you could also try antihistamines and moisturiser if the lesions are itchy. It can be caused by lots of things, usually a viral illness (especially the cold sore virus) or certain medications. There's probably not very much you can do to get rid of it but it should start to clear up within a few weeks.

Hope you feel better soon!
Original post by Anonymous
No personal experience, sorry, but you could also try antihistamines and moisturiser if the lesions are itchy. It can be caused by lots of things, usually a viral illness (especially the cold sore virus) or certain medications. There's probably not very much you can do to get rid of it but it should start to clear up within a few weeks.

Hope you feel better soon!

Thank you. The first time I went to my doctor he prescribed me strong antihistamines, as the over-the-counter ones I had been using were doing nothing for the itching or redness. I couldn't sleep very well for a week before I got the prescription. Now those have run out, the itching has almost gone, I will keep going with the regular antihistamines.

My doctor said it can be cause by the cold sore virus like you said or the fact that I've recently changed my contraceptive pill about 3 months ago. Interestingly, my boyfriend gets cold sores, but last time I saw him in December/January, he didn't have one, and you can only pass them on if you have one at the time. Hopefully the cream works and they go away.

Thanks for your response. :smile:
Original post by DrawTheLine
Thank you. The first time I went to my doctor he prescribed me strong antihistamines, as the over-the-counter ones I had been using were doing nothing for the itching or redness. I couldn't sleep very well for a week before I got the prescription. Now those have run out, the itching has almost gone, I will keep going with the regular antihistamines.

My doctor said it can be cause by the cold sore virus like you said or the fact that I've recently changed my contraceptive pill about 3 months ago. Interestingly, my boyfriend gets cold sores, but last time I saw him in December/January, he didn't have one, and you can only pass them on if you have one at the time. Hopefully the cream works and they go away.

Thanks for your response. :smile:

There is a very, very small chance that cold sores can be passed on when someone doesn't have them but it is a lot more common with genital herpes than cold sores (it's the same family of viruses).

I'm glad that antihistamines are helping - itchy skin rashes are so horrible and frustrating! Hopefully, the hydrocortisone will help as well! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest