The Student Room Group

Time to drop out?

I'm a first year History and Politics student at UCD (minor in Italian) and honestly, I don't find it enjoyable. I have found 99% of topics covered incredibly boring, I am completely apathetic to my grades and I cannot see myself doing a career in any of these routes. I have often felt like flinging my pencil case across the room. My dad has even expressed concern that I will drop out. I also cannot see myself having a career in any of these subjects.
Should I up and switch to another course (I've looked at Psychology and Social Science courses) or just see it through?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SherlockWatson
I'm a first year History and Politics student at UCD (minor in Italian) and honestly, I don't find it enjoyable. I have found 99% of topics covered incredibly boring, I am completely apathetic to my grades and I cannot see myself doing a career in any of these routes. I have often felt like flinging my pencil case across the room. My dad has even expressed concern that I will drop out. I also cannot see myself having a career in any of these subjects.
Should I up and switch to another course (I've looked at Psychology and Social Science courses) or just see it through?

You need to talk to someone at your university (your tutor) about your feelings about your subjects and find out how to change courses.

A lot of people find first year boring - but that’s sort of the point. Universities have people with all sorts of qualifications and subject backgrounds starting the same course. So they use the first year to make sure everyone has a solid shared understanding of the basics before they get into the juicy stuff in second year. It’s important to find out more about the second year before you give up the whole course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending