The Student Room Group

Is dating as a black girl in the UK hard?

I am currently about to finish A levels this year, and I'm going to university of Cambridge on a scholarship. I am a British overseas territories citizen. I used to live in the USA from the ages of 9-13, and I felt that guys thought I was very ugly, but as soon as I moved back home to the Caribbean, guys actually started to notice me and were hitting on me, I realized that America's standard of beauty is completely different and that most boys (including the black boys) always went for my white friends or my lighter skinned friends, while everyone was getting their first kiss/first relationships, I felt left out and just plain undesirable. Anyways, since I'll be moving to the UK in the next couple of months, what should I expect relationship wise as a caramel skinned, curly haired girl?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by whiteiverson
I am currently about to finish A levels this year, and I'm going to university of Cambridge on a scholarship. I am a British overseas territories citizen. I used to live in the USA from the ages of 9-13, and I felt very ugly, but as soon as I moved back home to the Caribbean, guys actually started to notice me and were hitting on me, I realized that America's standard of beauty is completely different and that most boys (including the black boys) always went for my white friends or my lighter skinned friends, while everyone was getting their first kiss/first relationships, I felt left out and just plain undesirable. Anyways, since I'll be moving to the UK in the next couple of months, what should I expect relationship wise as a caramel skinned, curly haired girl?

I don't know what you should expect. It depends on your personality. I'd be fine dating a black girl and/or a girl with curly hair. For me, as long as you are not, well, very bad looking, then it depends on your personality.
Reply 2
Curly hair omfgimwet
I am currently about to finish A levels this year, and I'm going to university of Cambridge on a scholarship. I am a British overseas territories citizen. I used to live in the USA from the ages of 9-13, and I felt very ugly, but as soon as I moved back home to the Caribbean, guys actually started to notice me and were hitting on me, I realized that America's standard of beauty is completely different and that most boys (including the black boys) always went for my white friends or my lighter skinned friends, while everyone was getting their first kiss/first relationships, I felt left out and just plain undesirable. Anyways, since I'll be moving to the UK in the next couple of months, what should I expect relationship wise as a caramel skinned, curly haired girl?

YES GIRL I agree with you, I am a south asian girl and I feel passed over by my own men (asian men i mean) sometimes in favour of a fat white girl with 3 kids by 3 different men lol. In the bigger more multicultural cities in the U.K I will attract nice attractive decent men but in the smaller towns I would be lucky if I got a factory worker with a full set of hair. What has worked for me is making an effort with the man that takes my fancy, they are not all mind readers.

erm ok it’s clear you’re black, not sure why you put ‘caramel skinned’ but if someone likes you they like you.
Original post by Zasty
Curly hair omfgimwet

lmao
im sure you are beautiful!! and you are so welcome in the uk. i hope the boys here treat you well, and there are such a culturally diverse places- especially in london! i wish you luck, and let the man come find you.
Original post by Dignifieddeath
YES GIRL I agree with you, I am a south asian girl and I feel passed over by my own men (asian men i mean) sometimes in favour of a fat white girl with 3 kids by 3 different men lol. In the bigger more multicultural cities in the U.K I will attract nice attractive decent men but in the smaller towns I would be lucky if I got a factory worker with a full set of hair. What has worked for me is making an effort with the man that takes my fancy, they are not all mind readers.

THANKS GIRL someone who understands lol
Original post by Anonymous
erm ok it’s clear you’re black, not sure why you put ‘caramel skinned’ but if someone likes you they like you.

Sorry if I offended you, only put that so that people would have a clearer vision of what i looked like.

It's hard if you aren't a black girl.
Black guys really don't prefer white girls. Those relationships happen but still rare.
It depends if a Black girl wants to date Black guys, or date outside her race:

The indigenous British have a genetic makeup adapted for the British climate and therefore an associated White beauty standard and culture to go with it. This means most White guys won't date a Black girl when there are so many other more attractive White girls available. I've also found this with Brown men who tend to also date Brown women from the same region such as India, Pakistan, Sudan, etc.

However, in Manchester where I live I see Black men overwhelmingly hooking up with Black girls, so dating shouldn't be particularly hard for a Black girl in an area where there's a large Black male population.
Original post by johnny.snow
Black guys really don't prefer white girls. Those relationships happen but still rare.

All the black and white footballers date only white girls
Original post by Dignifieddeath
All the black and white footballers date only white girls

Nice representative/relevant sample you got there. (sarcasm)

Since when did Cambridge offer any Scholarships that were financially worthwhile for Bachelor's degrees?

Anyway, according to data on OkCupid, black women have it the worst, apart from black men (which they score the highest for), they are the least desirable race to the other races. Simply, Asian women prefer Asian men the most, but every other race has the women putting them bottom

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjYyoXt46baAhXHLVAKHRTeDNIQFghQMAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheblog.okcupid.com%2Frace-and-attraction-2009-2014-107dcbb4f060&usg=AOvVaw3SProsW-tQ4G-Zg2THNNI2

Every race prefers their own race basically - otherwise discounting asian men and black women and ranking white men well
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Since when did Cambridge offer any Scholarships that were financially worthwhile for Bachelor's degrees?

Anyway, according to data on OkCupid, black women have it the worst, apart from black men (which they score the highest for), they are the least desirable race to the other races. Simply, Asian women prefer Asian men the most, but every other race has the women putting them bottom

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjYyoXt46baAhXHLVAKHRTeDNIQFghQMAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheblog.okcupid.com%2Frace-and-attraction-2009-2014-107dcbb4f060&usg=AOvVaw3SProsW-tQ4G-Zg2THNNI2

Every race prefers their own race basically - otherwise discounting asian men and black women and ranking white men well

I'm getting a scholarship from my local government in the Caribbean, they are paying for my school as long as I keep good grades, get a job to save money when the scholarship is done, etc. Thanks for your input!
I'm getting a scholarship from my local government in the Caribbean, they are paying for my school as long as I keep good grades, get a job to save money when the scholarship is done, etc. Thanks for your input!

Oh right I see - well done
Sorry if I offended you, only put that so that people would have a clearer vision of what i looked like.

No you didn’t, it’s just you gave a description of a light skinned black person which is what a lot of black guys in the uk go for ( well from my experience growing up and my friends can say the same). I think it’s kind of similar here, but it happens with every culture where light skinned is favoured, Asian, black etc. Which is why they have lightening products.
Usually darker skinned girls with coily hair like me struggle against other girls but even so in the uk I feel like people are much more diverse than America.

I honestly think it’s just someone’s personal preference and I guess it’s a good thing because it means you don’t have to be with someone who thinks like that, if they don’t like you because of your skin colour.
Original post by Anonymous
No you didn’t, it’s just you gave a description of a light skinned black person which is what a lot of black guys in the uk go for ( well from my experience growing up and my friends can say the same). I think it’s kind of similar here, but it happens with every culture where light skinned is favoured, Asian, black etc. Which is why they have lightening products.
Usually darker skinned girls with coily hair like me struggle against other girls but even so in the uk I feel like people are much more diverse than America.

I honestly think it’s just someone’s personal preference and I guess it’s a good thing because it means you don’t have to be with someone who thinks like that, if they don’t like you because of your skin colour.

I agree, thanks girl!
It doesn't matter what colour skin or hair type you have, if you've got a nice face then many people will be attracted to you. In the UK I see a lot of black guys dating black and mixed race girls. I do see fewer white males dating black girls, I don't know how much of it is preference or whether it's just the black girls aren't into white guys.
I wouldn't worry if I were you, the right guy will come along.