The Student Room Group

Mathematics application! Help!

Basically I have an offer from a top 10 university and I'm thinking it's too hard. I've basically lost motivation and passion for maths. Any advice to get pumped back up? Also I tend to suffer from a serious illness that is triggered by stress so I'm thinking I should downgrade to a top 15/20 university. But I really love the course of the top 10 university but I just can't cope with pressure. Any advice or university recommendations. I don't really like mechanics so any pure maths course reccommendation? Or any advice on what to do? Or just any help on how to get my passion back for maths? And how can I enjoy mechanics? As I just want to finish my degree with a good mark with good health. Also don't quote me. Does anyone have any tips for maths degree how to be successful? Having a mid life crisis. The top 10 uni is far away from home and the top 20s are closer to home. I felt so homesick. Any advice? I mean I do love maths. I just need motivation.
(edited 6 years ago)
if your not interested in mechanics look into Lancaster's course. It cartainly used to be just pure Maths and Stats and the first year used to be Maths, Stats and another subject of your choice. Fantastic campus, Sunday times university of the year. Minus points a long way from home and a small town. Another that used to do a maths and stats course was royal holloway. The workload will be heavy wherever you go.
Original post by swanseajack1
if your not interested in mechanics look into Lancaster's course. It cartainly used to be just pure Maths and Stats and the first year used to be Maths, Stats and another subject of your choice. Fantastic campus, Sunday times university of the year. Minus points a long way from home and a small town. Another that used to do a maths and stats course was royal holloway. The workload will be heavy wherever you go.

Thanks for your advice. Any others with pure maths couses. Also would have no ides what to pick as another subject of my choice. Any advice for the other subject of my choice. Do you have any advice on how to get better/ enjoy mechanics? Also where did you study maths? And don't quote me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by goofygoober6
Thanks for your advice. Any others with pure maths couses. Also would have no ides what to pick as another subject of my choice. Any advice for the other subject of my choice. Do you have any advice on how to get better/ enjoy mechanics? Also where did you study maths?

My son studied maths at exeter. Went with him to Lancaster as it was his insurance choice. We were very impressed but his interest took him to Exeter. We were hugely impressed with the staff and facilities at Lancaster and would strongly advised you to look into if you dont want Mechanics. Queen Mary, Swansea and Aberystwth offer pure maths and from memory I think East Anglia and maybe Kent do non mechanics courses allthough I maybe wrong. In your circumstances I stongly urge you to look into Lancaster
My son studied maths at exeter. Went with him to Lancaster as it was his insurance choice. We were very impressed but his interest took him to Exeter. We were hugely impressed with the staff and facilities at Lancaster and would strongly advised you to look into if you dont want Mechanics. Queen Mary, Swansea and Aberystwth offer pure maths and from memory I think East Anglia and maybe Kent do non mechanics courses allthough I maybe wrong. In your circumstances I stongly urge you to look into Lancaster

Alright thanks. I will continue to work hard and look into Lancaster. Any advice for the other subject I have to do? Also any advice on motivation.
(edited 6 years ago)
to be honest the subject could be anything your interested in. Something you have taken at a level or perhaps accountancy or economics that have have a mathematical leaning. The motivation is you are going to need to do well in mechanics to get your grades unless you accept the unconditional offer
to be honest the subject could be anything your interested in. Something you have taken at a level or perhaps accountancy or economics that have have a mathematical leaning. The motivation is you are going to need to do well in mechanics to get your grades unless you accept the unconditional offer

So you don't think Lancaster wry be too intense.
Original post by goofygoober6
So you don't think Lancaster wry be too intense.

i think every maths course will be intense wherever you go
Thanks and anyone else have anything to contribute.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending