English lit Macbeth - is this any good ? Advice needed!!! Watch

Emily09857
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
This is unfinished but I am aiming for a grade 7, however my teacher says I’m at grade 5. Any advice and feedback would be massively appreciated thanks.

How fair does Shakespeare present Lady Macbeth as a powerful woman?
In this extract Lady Macbeth is shown as daring. This is from the fearless attitude she portrays, which suggests she is relentless and powerful. ‘Come you spirits that tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here’. This may imply that Lady Macbeth is seeking violence and domination, perhaps because as a woman people see her as useless and innocent. Therefore influencing her to show her potential and how fearless she is. Shakespeare uses ‘unsex me here’ maybe to suggest Lady Macbeth has another side to her, and possibly show that she can rise to the power of men. Shakespeare perhaps did this because at this time women were seen as powerless and immune, therefore Shakespeare wants to show the public that women have the same capability, so equality should be set right. Shakespeare’s intentions were to make the society an equal place, being somewhere where women and men have the same dominance, by representing Lady Macbeth as powerful it suggests to the public that women are just as capable as men.

In the play as a whole Lady Macbeth can be seen as overpowering in her own mind. This is shown after she kills king Duncan as she begins to realise her immoral actions. ‘Out damned spot’ this suggests that the guilt and power from her actions have overpowered her mind, moreover that her intentions have lead her to insanity. The adjective ‘damned’ has connotations of wrong, annoying and frustration which could be the same sense of regret in which Lady Macbeth is experiencing. This therefore reveals that the power and determination Lady Macbeth has put into killing King Duncan has come back to haunt her as she realises her sins cannot be put right. In addition to this suggests that Shakespeare is suggesting karma has occurred from Lady Macbeth’s killing in return for eternal guilt and eventually suicide. Shakespeare may have done this to show the public how dangerous power and determination can be with an example of how Lady Macbeth’s ambition turned to mental remorse.
euphrosynay
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
these are good paragraphs! you're including lots of quotes and making sure to talk about the ideas surrounding them. you're including context using the ideas that may have been around during Shakespeare's time. and you're suggesting the intentions of the playwright, which is very important.

some grammar edits:

"same sense of regret which Lady Macbeth is experiencing" - no 'in' is needed, since 'regret' is a direct, and not an indirect, object. lady macbeth experiences regret.

"wrong, annoyance and frustration" - all are nouns

"have led her to insanity" - 'lead' is used for the present tense

"the same dominance; by representing lady macbeth" - semicolons can be used to separate two clauses more clearly (and won't hurt your marks either)

"therefore she may be influenced" (suggestion) - every sentence has a subject

more general pointers:

lady macbeth's desire to be unsexed does show that women can be as powerful as men, but more specifically shows that lady macbeth has the power and capacity to kill, just as macbeth does (if not more so). while shakespeare shows that men and women can be equal, this play and its events serve to show that men and women can be equally dangerous.
when making points about context, make sure that they're directly relevant to quotes or events described. if needed, state more examples so that every point you make is backed up.
for context in Shakespeare, it can be good to include state or religious laws at the time. for example, lady macbeth's regret foreshadows an eternal guilt, which emphasises the severity of her actions; murder was a mortal sin in the eyes of the church, meaning that one would spend eternity in hell, and it was supposed that they would repent for their sins while in torture.

if you want a point to continue on, you can compare lady macbeth to other characters in personality, ideas and actions. you can also talk about her influence on the plot of the play (if she quickens/slows the pace, and what effect this has; if she makes events happen that may have not happened otherwise). whatever you decide to write, make sure that you are always linking back to the question.

i hope this helps, and don't hesitate to ask for more advice
Emily09857
Rep:
?
Thank you so much, I am sure this advice will help me so much!!
Emily09857
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=euphrosynay;76987812]
One question I do have is how do you recommend to link back to the question and where in the paragraph do you link back.
CinnamonSmol
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi I managed to get 2 9's in English last year, one of the plays I did included Macbeth, I made a thread with examples and notes so feel free to check it out, good luck!
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...5208682&page=4
blue338
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Here is an example paragraph I wrote in a band 8 essay, hope it helps:

Shakespeare presents a certain level and extent to Lady Macbeths powerful nature. In her soliloquy Lady Macbeth asks spirits to "unsex me here", this is a bold and powerful line as it takes courage for her to say it. In the Jacobean period feminims and womanly charecteristics were thought to have made a woman, and give them something to be proud of, the force and tone of her demanding voice can also suggest she is powerfull as her words have a certain and demanding tone suggesting she knows what she wants, however Shakespeare suggests that no matter how much she tries she cannot ever be fully powerful as she cannot loose her womanly nature. In her soliloquy she asks spirits to "tend on moratal thoughts" the word "tend" is usually associated with motherhood, for example you usually "tend" on a baby, this use of language by Shakespeare heavily suggest Lady Macbeth isn't powerful at all and is trying to gain power but womanhood and caring nature will always be part of her.
Anisa04
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When I did my English literature exams, the main things my teacher advised me to do was to never just add a quote without introducing it, like say" for example", never add a quote as if it is a sentence. Also try to make references to themes, dramatic devices like dramatic irony etc, structural devices. I think making references to the structure is good like say whether the play is at it's rising action or climax etc, I used to do that and it would get me some decent marks.
For context, you can talk about how her powerful character contradicts the submissive image of women during the Elizabethan era or how it goes against the patriarchal society views where men were mostly powerful.

Analyse the quote as much as you can, pick out language devices, the most common thing I would comment on is the sentence type like declaratives, exclamatory sentences etc, it's the easiest language thing you can comment on. Also you don't have to say she is a powerful woman, the question says how far, so add some points that show she is a powerful woman, then say However, to an extent she is not as powerful as she may appear, like talk about how she was after killing Duncan, she was weak after that, she was less authoritative to Macbeth. I don't remember much about the play just a few things, but hope this helps, excuse my punctuation, I was never good at that at GCSE.
AT-2001
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They're good, although I would suggest that you should also mention the audiences; a Jacobean audience and a modern audience. What the effect on the audience would be and what they would most likely be feeling. For instance, you could say this for your first point: An audience of the time would be shocked by Lady Macbeth's nature, which lacks femininity and goes against the stereotype of women at the time. A modern audience may not be as shocked, or may not even be shocked at all as modern society has gender equality, unlike Jacobean society.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (206)
22.08%
The paper was reasonable (398)
42.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (178)
19.08%
It was TERRIBLE (151)
16.18%

Watched Threads