The Student Room Group

How to revise for 8 hours a day?

How do you revise for 8-10 hours a day for GCSEs?
Take 30 mins break between each hour or hour and half and revise. Drink lots of water to help your brain to work efficiently. If you can, try napping in the afternoon to help your brain relax and then do work too
Original post by Shukokai

8-10 hours a day for GCSEs... ok.

Well you just have to get your head down and block out all distractions. Get rid of the phone and make sure everything is planned out before starting the revision.

But that is a lot for one day, and if you can't do it then reduce the time, most people do around 4-5 hours a day and I really don't think that you need to revise 8-10 hrs a day for GCSE unless you are really struggling.
Original post by neluxsan
If you can, try napping in the afternoon to help your brain relax and then do work too

Napping in the afternoon could mess with sleep patterns.
Original post by Alexty28
Napping in the afternoon could mess with sleep patterns.

Well I love my bed:biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by neluxsan
Take 30 mins break between each hour or hour and half and revise. Drink lots of water to help your brain to work efficiently. If you can, try napping in the afternoon to help your brain relax and then do work too

Okay thanks
Reply 6
Original post by Alexty28
8-10 hours a day for GCSEs... ok.

Well you just have to get your head down and block out all distractions. Get rid of the phone and make sure everything is planned out before starting the revision.

But that is a lot for one day, and if you can't do it then reduce the time, most people do around 4-5 hours a day and I really don't think that you need to revise 8-10 hrs a day for GCSE unless you are really struggling.

I’m not struggling, I’m trying to get those 9s...
I’m not struggling, I’m trying to get those 9s...

what did you get in mocks?
Reply 8

I really suggest you don't do more than 8/9 hours a day bc you don't want to burn yourself out or go into overload, and you need time for your brain to chill out.
for me, I had to set timers for everything which helped me do lots of work because as soon as it went off I'd drag myself back to the desk lol otherwise id just forget and have a massive break. Buy yourself nice snacks or something so you have motivation to get through the revision session and get stuff done. Make sure youre sleeping enough, if you're tired you'll never get this much revision done

good luck :smile:
Reply 9
oh also dont stress it if every now and then you can't get a full 8 hours in, sometimes its just not the day and youre just not feeling it, just do what you can
10 hours is too much, but 8 is manageable if you manage time effectively and don’t get distracted. Maybe make a study plan or something so that your day is structured
If you're needing to revise 8 hours a day it is not effective revision, as someone who got 9s last year in my GCSEs; the trick is to spend a couple of hours with plenty of breaks really memorising the information by taking a page in the revision guide explaining it to yourself as if you're teaching a class, then covering the page and writing down as much as you can and then filling in anything you missed - repeat this! I really really really recommend the Collins revision guides for this they have everything you need to know practically word for word from the mark schemes! This only takes a couple of minutes per page but the key is take regular breaks so your brain can store the information!!!! Get out of the house and do something different for a bit you'll feel a hell of a lot better for it!You also need to do plenty of past papers including the old spec. mark it and really try to understand where you went wrong! This you can spend more hours on but you still need rest! I'm someone who's absolutely terrible at focusing so I can at max. revise for a total of 4 hours spread out throughout the day but if you're effective about your revision - this is plenty I promise! Coming from someone who got 9s last year at GCSE! Good luck! :smile: Xx

Quick Reply

Latest