HNC horticulture at 17

Watch
Bayaz
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hnc horti
Last edited by Bayaz; 2 years ago
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
How do you mean 'going out of employment'? Do you mean is it worth quitting a job to do the course? Where did you get accepted?

(I've done the HNC and the City & Guilds Diploma btw)
Bayaz
Rep:
I have a job years nearly and the put me through an apprenticeship where i got asvq and put myself through RHS but what I want to know is there a point leaving my job to go to the college full time where I might also get y work in rbge
Last edited by Bayaz; 2 years ago
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Tricky, I suppose it depends what you want to do in the mid to long term.

The SVQ and RHS2 will serve you very well in terms of practical skills, something the HNC lacks, and you've already got a steady position which will serve well on the CV. (Large estate gardens tend to make good experience, you'll do a bit of everything generally)

The HNC starts to focus a lot more on the science and theory behind things also with a lot more plant identification and business planning & management stuff and does a lot to prepare you for the higher levels of study if you want to progress to HND/Degree level, particularly the 'Horticulture with Plantsmanship' course that's cotaught by and a solid way into the RBGE, requirements and overall commitment to it are brutal though in comparison to regular Horticulture (which I do)

I suppose i'm trying to say there probably isn't a 'wrong' choice here, both have merit, The HNC is a good course and progression route but a full time commitment. while you've already got a set of vocational qualifications and a decent role (and a wage isn't to be sniffed at), I believe there's also the option to progress to RHS 3 & Masters while still in employment?
Bayaz
Rep:
I suppose I could if I stayed in my job do svq 3 but I won'
Learn anything new in my job it'
Rather tedious repetitive work that's why I thought to work up to a HND with plantmanship for me to gain access to botanical gardens is it really with doing it ?
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
That's a bit more perspective then, if you feel you've basically got all you're going to get out your current job you're obv not going to fancy hanging there long enough for the lv3 and such.....

If access to the Botanicals and the dedicated plantsmanship side and generally learning new sides and depths to horticulture is your aim then yes, the HNC route is the way to go, it's your entry ticket into the HND and counts toward it, is it SRUC you've been accepted to or looking at the HND for? I've got a few folk i came through the ranks with doing the plantsmanship HND just now and tough as it is they're loving it, they spend a lot of their time on placement in the RGBE to they've got their foot well in the door there. I'm on the 'standard' HND Horticulture route and that's pretty intensive as well, you can also jump between years from plantsmanship to 'standard' if one isn't suiting you.
Bayaz
Rep:
At least it's not all the time coursework and you get placements there thank you so much for your help on this what's the botany and taxonmy side of the HNDcourse like your doing is it a large part of it ? It'
Bayaz
Rep:
At least it's not all the time coursework and you get placements there thank you so much for your help on this what's the botany and taxonmy side of the HNDcourse like your doing is it a large part of it ? Its SRUC im at
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bayaz)
At least it's not all the time coursework and you get placements there thank you so much for your help on this what's the botany and taxonmy side of the HNDcourse like your doing is it a large part of it ? It'
The HND with Plantsmanship has the placements side of things and is a lot more hands on with plants and they spend a LOT of time of plant idents and taxonomy. The basic Horticulture i'm doing has more of the science side with Genetics, Breeding and DNA stuff (we spend a lot of time with the Agriculture and Environment students as well) but we haven't spent that much time with plants or idents (I did my HNC in Glasgow though) It's SRUC i'm at just now (although i'm actually deferring my 3rd HND term till next year and not going back next week , I fancy spending my summer with a van and tools instead :P )
Bayaz
Rep:
Aww Thank You For All The Info On It Hope Your Enjoying Doing It Sounds A Good WAy To Spend The 3rd Term
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
No worries at all, if you've any questions just ask, Horticulture is a pretty small world, in Scotland esp, so if you take up the HNC you'll prob see me wandering about the place at some point One thing i'll say about SRUC is it's quality of teaching staff and industry contacts are world class, they do a huge amount of research work and have ties everywhere, every nursery, botanical garden and SASA (top Scottish horti science outfit). One weird thing i found is the lack of hands on work with plants in the units (and a few folk complained about it) but it took me a bit to work out that the facilities & materials are all there to use at will, they just expect you to show your own initiative.

I'm not deferring in happy circumstances i'm afraid, my mum took a serious stroke 2 weeks ago and i'm going to have to take on a lot of care duties, commuting and concentrating for my 3rd term just wasn't a realistic option, but they've been good at letting me just defer and come to finish my last few modules next year, and a van & tools gives me the flexibility i'll need over the next while.
Bayaz
Rep:
Sorry to hear that know it's hard balancing family problems and college doing the right thing taking time off .

Hopefully see you about I'll be doing the HNC at Elmwood
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.63%
Note taking apps (6)
2.45%
Flashcards (47)
19.18%
Revision guides (15)
6.12%
Past papers (116)
47.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.27%

Watched Threads