The Student Room Group

Unauthorised term time absence!

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by darcydavis18
Hi there! I'm an 18 year old in year 12, studying in Norfolk (spent a year studying at a different college before returning to my original sixth form so am a year behind my peers) and I'm looking for advice with regards to taking an unauthorised holiday in term time. I'm fully aware of the correlation between attendance and performance so please, I'm not looking for anyone to explain that further! All this is, is a question regarding the legality of my holiday. As I'm 18, I'm pass school leaver age? And because of this, laws regarding fixed penalties notices only apply to children age 4-16? My concern is primarily that I don't want my parents to be served any notices or penalties because of my actions. Any advice? Should I write a letter explaining my absence a week before or just tell my sixth form on the day of leaving?
Thanks!
P.S again, I'm not asking for peoples opinions on if I should have the holiday or not, its a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'm simply asking about the laws regarding the topic and how to approach telling my sixth form.

You should look at your school rules concerning unauthorised absences.. You may have agreed to conditions simply by being in the sixth form and a pupil at the school. I expect they will seek an explanation from your parents as they are legally responsible for your wellbeing and attendance at school.

I would get ahead in all your work.
Original post by darcydavis18
Hi there! I'm an 18 year old in year 12, studying in Norfolk (spent a year studying at a different college before returning to my original sixth form so am a year behind my peers) and I'm looking for advice with regards to taking an unauthorised holiday in term time. I'm fully aware of the correlation between attendance and performance so please, I'm not looking for anyone to explain that further! All this is, is a question regarding the legality of my holiday. As I'm 18, I'm pass school leaver age? And because of this, laws regarding fixed penalties notices only apply to children age 4-16? My concern is primarily that I don't want my parents to be served any notices or penalties because of my actions. Any advice? Should I write a letter explaining my absence a week before or just tell my sixth form on the day of leaving?
Thanks!
P.S again, I'm not asking for peoples opinions on if I should have the holiday or not, its a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'm simply asking about the laws regarding the topic and how to approach telling my sixth form.

Don't worry, you time playing fortnite will soon be time well spent. You will have no regrets about this.

Quick Reply

Latest