Should I delete all my social media accounts?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The only reason I have it is for entertainment. Like, it's my go-to as like a time-filler/waster. I don't care about any of the 'friends'/followers I have on there.

I'm not sure if this decision is something I will regret, though, because what if I make real friends and they want to add me on fb/follow me on instagram and then that element of them getting to know me better won't exist.

I really don't know what to do because I've been wanting to delete it all for a while now because I think it's full of chit and there's a lot of aspects of social media that I don't like. Like, it just wastes real life time. I feel that, if I delete it, I will have more time and freedom to do real-life things and the direction/quality of my life might improve E.g. I might starting reading again like I used to instead of going on my phone. I'm also thinking of starting a youtube channel, which will be the only kind of 'social media' that i'll have, a real form of it, because I can openly express myself on any topic I want.

If i delete it there won't be that stupid element of providing 'evidence' (pics) of happiness-related things in my life. I would be completely detached from proving myself and my worth to anyone.

sorry this is all over the place

thanks for any advice
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Surely you could always re-join later if you wish?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
It's not just about wasting time though. It's about just not wanting to prove my existence by having social media accounts. I want to be detached from that. I probably will recreate new ones in the future but I kinda currently just wanna get rid of it.

im probs not making any sense, soz
RickHendricks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
damn your brutal
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
Personally, I feel that you should delete ALL social media accounts for one week, observe your moods, and you will find that by the end of the week, your body will have adjusted, filled the time with activites you wanted to do - such as reading, and therefore, you can re enter it back into your life, but the use will be much more restricted.
Social media is excellent in short doses, making you feel more connected and happier if you use it for 1.5 hours a day. However, anymore than this and you will start contributing to bad mental health. Taking up a hobby, texting, making phone calls, reading or even getting an evening job are ways to ditract yourself in places where you may find yourself scrolling through some ex Love Islander's insta and thnking about how pretty they are. I also agree with you that social media has began feeling like a competiton - that the people who put on pictures of their new car, clothes, or cuddling with their boyfriend are happier. This is not the case. I am not 100% saying when you do re - enter social media after the week's break to NEVER post anything, only observe, but there has to be an element of truth in "Private Life Happy Life." You choose what people see, who see's it and how often they see it. YOU ARE IN CONTROL.
Alone star
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes you should.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (611)
33.79%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (758)
41.92%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (359)
19.86%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.42%

Watched Threads