Mitchjp
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Just wondering if any mathematicians have left uni and got maths based jobs that aren't in finance or stats?. I don't really want to leave maths as my first choice after my MSc was to carry on and do a PhD and then pure maths research, but since I won't move and there's very few units in my are that do this I've not much chance of a postdoc and feel the PhD might be a waste if it leads nowhere. It'd also be a 2019 start now.

Apart from teaching most people I know have gone into data analysis/business intelligence analyst type roles or accounting and that's really not my thing. Just wondering what other stuff people have ended up doing as I don't know what I'm looking for. All my family are builders so I've not had much exposure to people who work in graduate type roles and I'm stuck for ideas
dinglebells
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
could go into software engineering? consulting?
Mitchjp
Rep:
?
(Original post by dinglebells)
could go into software engineering? consulting?
I've applied for a few software roles and actually been offered a job by one of them. Tend to have mixed feelings about them. One of the ones I didn't get was writing CAD software, probably loads of 3D geometry, and I could get myself excited about that. Others have been "business systems management software" and "customer experience management software" and I found it hard to be interested in a job producing software I couldn't care less about. Especially given the commuting distance.

Consulting doesn't really do much for me. Don't fancy being placed at different clients all over the country over couple of months like some companies do and if I'm being honest I'd rather be in a scientific field rather than business given the choice
dinglebells
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Could do a machine learning/AI-focused masters and go into AI/machine learning/data science research roles?
Computing roles don't have to be the boring "business software" stuff.
Mitchjp
Rep:
?
(Original post by dinglebells)
Could do a machine learning/AI-focused masters and go into AI/machine learning/data science research roles?
Computing roles don't have to be the boring "business software" stuff.
Yeah you're right they don't. I've not seen much that's not businessy in the NW but they have to come up at some point. Just doing another masters feels like abit of a risk so that's some to weigh up and also what courses are available, but it's something to look at. Ta
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mitchjp)
Just wondering if any mathematicians have left uni and got maths based jobs that aren't in finance or stats?. I don't really want to leave maths as my first choice after my MSc was to carry on and do a PhD and then pure maths research, but since I won't move and there's very few units in my are that do this I've not much chance of a postdoc and feel the PhD might be a waste if it leads nowhere. It'd also be a 2019 start now.

Apart from teaching most people I know have gone into data analysis/business intelligence analyst type roles or accounting and that's really not my thing. Just wondering what other stuff people have ended up doing as I don't know what I'm looking for. All my family are builders so I've not had much exposure to people who work in graduate type roles and I'm stuck for ideas
Operation research analyst (very interesting in my opinion), Physicist (which is quite popular in fact), Engineering, Economist, Cyber Securities.

I think what you should do first is to decide on a sector that interests you, and then seeing what opportunities are there through research.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.81%
I'm not sure (32)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.25%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (330)
47.97%

Watched Threads