The Student Room Group

period 3 -AQA

The Period 3 elements, Na, Mg, Al, Si, P and S, all form oxides when the elements are burned in an excess of oxygen.
(i) Give the formula of an oxide of one of these elements in which the element is not in its highest oxidation state.
Original post by Qer
The Period 3 elements, Na, Mg, Al, Si, P and S, all form oxides when the elements are burned in an excess of oxygen.
(i) Give the formula of an oxide of one of these elements in which the element is not in its highest oxidation state.

So what is the problem?
Reply 2
Original post by charco
So what is the problem?

Can i write MgO here?
Original post by Qer
Can i write MgO here?

No.

Two of the elements from more than one oxide. You are supposed to know that.

You are to write one of the ones with the lower of the oxidising state.
Reply 4
Original post by charco
No.

Two of the elements from more than one oxide. You are supposed to know that.

You are to write one of the ones with the lower of the oxidising state.

I don't know. whats the answer?
Original post by Qer

Hi!

From the oxides of these elements that are in the spec, S is the only one (I think) that we need to know off the back of our hands as having variable oxidation states.

It forms SO2 and SO3, so I'll let you do the rest :smile:

It's quite an easy question disguised by horrible wording really!
I’m not sure if it’s sulfur or aluminium as aluminium can form 2 and 3 and sulfur can form 4 /6
(edited 6 years ago)
Sulfur
Original post by sportyegg
I’m not sure if it’s sulfur or aluminium as aluminium can form 2 and 3 and sulfur can form 4 /6

aluminium can only form +3

Quick Reply

Latest