Panic attacks..are they serious?

Watch
Tired...
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've been getting panic attacks for the last couple of months and i'm not too sure why. Just wanted to know if getting them is serious and reasons for getting them??
The Introvert
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am sure that you know the serious mental effects that these panic attacks can have on you. However, you must remember that they cannot harm you physcially and that they cannot last (at full intensity) for any longer than around 10 mins.

If there’s no clear trigger for them, I’d recommend speaking to your GP so that they can help you to keep them under control. I’m sure you can beat them with enough effort!
Tired...
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Introvert)
I am sure that you know the serious mental effects that these panic attacks can have on you. However, you must remember that they cannot harm you physcially and that they cannot last (at full intensity) for any longer than around 10 mins.

If there’s no clear trigger for them, I’d recommend speaking to your GP so that they can help you to keep them under control. I’m sure you can beat them with enough effort!
Hey, yeah i'm aware. They started around two months ago and happens on average about once a weekish. I'm not really sure what triggers them.

Im just unnsure of whether its serious enough to tell someone or not haha

They're seriously one of the worst feelings ever
The Introvert
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Tired...)
They're seriously one of the worst feelings ever
I think you’ve answered your own question. It’s clearly serious enough to you. You don’t need to tell everyone, but just tell a close friend or family member so that they cna support you. If you feel that you can’t do that, just find someone on the TSR who you can talk to anonymously and message them whenever you feel like you need it. I’m always free! 😊
Tired...
Rep:
?
I think you’ve answered your own question. It’s clearly serious enough to you. You don’t need to tell everyone, but just tell a close friend or family member so that they cna support you. If you feel that you can’t do that, just find someone on the TSR who you can talk to anonymously and message them whenever you feel like you need it. I’m always free! 😊
Thank you! I have tried talking to a few friends - i've either been ignored at or they just dont care haha
The Introvert
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you! I have tried talking to a few friends - i've either been ignored at or they just dont care haha
They probably don’t know what to say, which is understandable considering society as a whole isn’t very good at talking about panic attacks and anxiety (though things are improving).
Just educate yourself (and perhaps your friends) by researching online, such as through the NHS website and also watching youtube videos about other people’s experiences. Embarrasingly, I found a video by Zoella to be very useful in explaining things to me! 😅
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've been getting panic attacks for the last couple of months and i'm not too sure why. Just wanted to know if getting them is serious and reasons for getting them??
Depends what you mean by serious. A panic attack in itself isn't really serious in that it isn't dangerous (you'll be fine after it's happened). Panic attacks are serious though in the sense that they are really really unpleasant and indicate underlying issues like anxiety. That's something that you just don't want going on and is really worth getting support with.
If you're getting panic attacks I suggest you go see your GP. They're like the crossroads for all sorts of support.
You can also get in touch with your school about counseling which can be a big help.

Do remember though if you are feeling paniced that is nothing to worry about. Panic attacks are super scary and can lead to even more anxiety and panic, but they can't actually hurt you. They suck a whole lot, but you'll be fine after.
Tired...
Rep:
?
They probably don’t know what to say, which is understandable considering society as a whole isn’t very good at talking about panic attacks and anxiety (though things are improving).
Just educate yourself (and perhaps your friends) by researching online, such as through the NHS website and also watching youtube videos about other people’s experiences. Embarrasingly, I found a video by Zoella to be very useful in explaining things to me! 😅
Haha I guess it is one of them subjects some people may find awkward discussing!

Yeah I have done a bit of googling around. I'm not sure if it could be to do with thyroid? I seem to have all the symptoms but my blood test came out normal lol!

(Original post by Kindred)
Depends what you mean by serious. A panic attack in itself isn't really serious in that it isn't dangerous (you'll be fine after it's happened). Panic attacks are serious though in the sense that they are really really unpleasant and indicate underlying issues like anxiety. That's something that you just don't want going on and is really worth getting support with.
If you're getting panic attacks I suggest you go see your GP. They're like the crossroads for all sorts of support.
You can also get in touch with your school about counseling which can be a big help.

Do remember though if you are feeling paniced that is nothing to worry about. Panic attacks are super scary and can lead to even more anxiety and panic, but they can't actually hurt you. They suck a whole lot, but you'll be fine after.
I understand that panic attacks aren't damaging to the body or anything - it's just the sudden start of them. I've never really suffered from mental health problems - generally always happy. But since the panic attacks have started i have seen a sudden change in my mood.

I think i will go talk to someone about it

I left school some time ago aha

Thank you for the advice!
independentx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Panic attacks cannot have a serious physical effect. The hyperventilation caused can cause symptoms associated with lack of oxygen such as pins and needles and feeling dizzy, but other than that they're relatively harmless. However, as you're probably aware, they can cause an affect mentally. They can be caused by anxiety, panic disorders, phobias, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.93%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.08%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads