The Student Room Group

Animation - Portsmouth or Falmouth uni?

I applied for the animation course and got an offer to study at both of these universities but I just really don't know which one to choose

The course, facilities and teaching quality are rather similar from what I could gather, but it seems like Portsmouth is generally better known and has more accreditation? Though when you look at student satisfaction Falmouth scores higher, I also read some negative opinions about Portsmouth and I don't know what to think.

And since I'm from outside the UK I can't go and see what's the uni really like . I've been to Falmouth when I was in England earlier and it seemed really nice, (though it is in the middle of nowhere .-.) but I didn't get the chance to see Portsmouth so I've no way to compare. Does any of you study at Portsmouth and could tell me what it's like? Or has been to an open day??
Original post by dixiet
I applied for the animation course and got an offer to study at both of these universities but I just really don't know which one to choose

The course, facilities and teaching quality are rather similar from what I could gather, but it seems like Portsmouth is generally better known and has more accreditation? Though when you look at student satisfaction Falmouth scores higher, I also read some negative opinions about Portsmouth and I don't know what to think.

And since I'm from outside the UK I can't go and see what's the uni really like . I've been to Falmouth when I was in England earlier and it seemed really nice, (though it is in the middle of nowhere .-.) but I didn't get the chance to see Portsmouth so I've no way to compare. Does any of you study at Portsmouth and could tell me what it's like? Or has been to an open day??

Falmouth is very much in the middle of nowhere. If you’re interested in anything outside student related activities you will struggle. There’s not even a good cinema in Falmouth.

Portsmouth isn’t the most pretty city in the uk but it is a city with the facilities and social opportunities that offers.

If you would be happy living in a very small town then Falmouth is probably for you. If you don’t want to live in a small town Portsmouth is probably a better bet.

Personally I find places like Falmouth are great to visit but not somewhere I would be happy living....but plenty of people love it.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Falmouth is very much in the middle of nowhere. If you’re interested in anything outside student related activities you will struggle. There’s not even a good cinema in Falmouth.

Portsmouth isn’t the most pretty city in the uk but it is a city with the facilities and social opportunities that offers.

If you would be happy living in a very small town then Falmouth is probably for you. If you don’t want to live in a small town Portsmouth is probably a better bet.

Personally I find places like Falmouth are great to visit but not somewhere I would be happy living....but plenty of people love it.

Thanks, Falmouth is indeed more like a place I'd go to for holiday than somewhere I'd live for 3 years. I imagine I'd miss the city life, at least at the beginning, it might change later, but that's not really my main concern.

I'm more worried about which course is *actually* better, like education and atmosphere-wise? And which prepares you better to work in the industry later on and gives better future career opportunities?
Original post by dixiet
Thanks, Falmouth is indeed more like a place I'd go to for holiday than somewhere I'd live for 3 years. I imagine I'd miss the city life, at least at the beginning, it might change later, but that's not really my main concern.

I'm more worried about which course is *actually* better, like education and atmosphere-wise? And which prepares you better to work in the industry later on and gives better future career opportunities?

Industry wise - neither are accredited by creative skillset http://creativeskillset.org/search/3433?tags%5B%5D=Animation+degrees&tags%5B%5D=&tags%5B%5D=&type%5B%5D=Undergraduate

I would suggest you look at their showreels and graduate data and make a judgment about whether they can support the style of animation you are interested in. That plus figure out which studio environment you think you would thrive in.

Quick Reply

Latest