What is emulsification? Watch

1+1=Window
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Was revising about enzymes in the digestive system, and I found out that bile emulsifies fats, which speeds up the digestion of lipids. Was just wondering what it means by "emulsifies"?
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
When fat [lipid] is emulsified in the presence of bile, it is split into tiny globules that intersperse with the water in the duodenum (which is where bile enters the gut via the common bile duct which carries it there from the gall-bladder [where it is stored after being made by the liver]). This is a bit like if you mix a bit of oil and water in a small bottle and shake it quite hard.

The fact that the fat is now present in thousands of tiny globules means that its surface area on which the enzyme [in this case pancreatic lipase] can act is greatly increased, so digestion can take place efficiently.

A person with liver disease, whereby bile is not made properly, or someone whose bile duct is blocked by cancer [for instance] cannot digest fat well, and they pass fatty stool that stinks (ugh!).

I hope this makes it easier to understand, yeah?

Easy peasy lemon squeezy, correct? Well done!

M
1+1=Window
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by macpatelgh)
When fat [lipid] is emulsified in the presence of bile, it is split into tiny globules that intersperse with the water in the duodenum (which is where bile enters the gut via the common bile duct which carries it there from the gall-bladder [where it is stored after being made by the liver]). This is a bit like if you mix a bit of oil and water in a small bottle and shake it quite hard.

The fact that the fat is now present in thousands of tiny globules means that its surface area on which the enzyme [in this case pancreatic lipase] can act is greatly increased, so digestion can take place efficiently.

A person with liver disease, whereby bile is not made properly, or someone whose bile duct is blocked by cancer [for instance] cannot digest fat well, and they pass fatty stool that stinks (ugh!).

I hope this makes it easier to understand, yeah?

Easy peasy lemon squeezy, correct? Well done!

M
Cheers for the explanation - I've got it now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (91)
16.52%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (56)
10.16%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (98)
17.79%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15.25%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (168)
30.49%

Watched Threads