Calculate standard enthalpy of formation from thermodynamic data?

Watch
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

I am a bit confused as to how to do this question:

Use data from the Tables 1 and 2 to calculate the standard enthalpy of formation for Calcium fluoride.

How can you calculate the standard enthalpy of formation if calcium is not in its standard state? How would you do this question anyway? Can someone please explain the steps?

Thanks!
Attached files
HiggsBoson
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 020200)
Hi,

Use data from the Tables 1 and 2 to calculate the standard enthalpy of formation for Calcium fluoride.

How can you calculate the standard enthalpy of formation if calcium is not in its standard state? How would you do this question anyway? Can someone please explain the steps?

Thanks!
I think you will need to draw a Born-Haber cycle.
Once you have that drawn, the formation enthalpy should be equal to all the other values going clockwise.
username3718068
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 020200)
Hi,

Thanks!
You would have to construct a Born - Haber cycle as HiggsBoson has said.
btw calcium is in its standard state, and the data for that is included in the table.

as to how to solve the question, you start with the equation:
Ca(s) + F2(g) => CaF2(s)

you also know that Ca has lost 2 electrons and each fluorine atom has gained one.
So you need to think of a way from the given data to convert Ca(s) to Ca2+(s)
(hint: you first convert the calcium into gaseous calcium first then do enthalpy of ionisation of Ca, then Ca+). Don't use ionisation enthalpy of Ca and multiply by 2 as that will give you the wrong answer.

As for flourine, you need to use bond dissociation enthalpy of 1 mole of diatomic flourine, then use enthalpy of electron affinity (multiplied by 2 as there are 2 moles of flourine now).

Then do lattice formation enthalpy. (note: this is the negative of lattice dissociation in the given data).

Once you have constructed the born Haber cycle with these numbers, you can then easily calculate enthalpy of formation.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by dip0)
You would have to construct a Born - Haber cycle as HiggsBoson has said.
btw calcium is in its standard state, and the data for that is included in the table.

as to how to solve the question, you start with the equation:
Ca(s) + F2(g) => CaF2(s)

you also know that Ca has lost 2 electrons and each fluorine atom has gained one.
So you need to think of a way from the given data to convert Ca(s) to Ca2+(s)
(hint: you first convert the calcium into gaseous calcium first then do enthalpy of ionisation of Ca, then Ca+). Don't use ionisation enthalpy of Ca and multiply by 2 as that will give you the wrong answer.

As for flourine, you need to use bond dissociation enthalpy of 1 mole of diatomic flourine, then use enthalpy of electron affinity (multiplied by 2 as there are 2 moles of flourine now).

Then do lattice formation enthalpy. (note: this is the negative of lattice formation in the given data).

Once you have constructed the born Haber cycle with these numbers, you can then easily calculate enthalpy of formation.
Thanks! It had just been a while since I had done thermodynamics so forgot that you could just work out enthalpy of formation from using the cycle.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.38%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
18.03%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.26%

Watched Threads