Reply 1
^^
Original post by Kalabamboo
89.PNG
Can somebody help me understand this? Thanks

Well you know that:
pH = -log[H+]
and:
[H+] = moles H+ / total volume of solution (dm^3)

We also know that HCl is a strong acid, so that helps a lot in calculating moles of H+ (hint: n=cv)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by dip0
Well you know that:
pH = -log[H+]
and:
[H+] = moles H+ / total volume of solution (dm^3)

We also know that HCl is a strong acid, so that helps a lot in calculating moles of H+ (hint: n=cv)

Brilliant! Thanks a lot for your help:smile: One thing: wouldn't water act as an alkali here. Initially, I did HCl + H2O --> H3O+ +Cl- and then things sort of got messed up from there.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kalabamboo
Brilliant! Thanks a lot for your help:smile: One thing: wouldn't water act as an alkali here. Initially, I did HCl + H2O --> H3O+ +Cl- and then things sort of got messed up from there.

We ignore the effect of self ionisation of water.
2H2O <=> H3O+ + OH-

the water doesn't act as an alkali but rather it produces it.

We ignore it as the equilibrium is extremely to the left, hence practically speaking we can assume that there are no hydroxide ions present that could react with the H3O+
Reply 5
Original post by dip0
2H2O <=> H3O+ + OH-

We ignore it as the equilibrium is extremely to the left, hence practically speaking we can assume that there are no hydroxide ions present that could react with the H3O+

Ahh thanks a lot for the clarification. So generally speaking water added to a weak acid or a strong acid or a strong base etc just increases the volume and doesn't affect anything e.g. the pH and etc. So water just has a diluting effect, increasing the volume of the reaction mixture and nothing more. Am I correct so far?:biggrin:
Original post by dip0
2H2O <=> H3O+ + OH-

I too am stuck on the ionisation of water. I posted a question on aassumptions, would be great if you could help. Why did you ignore water in this question too btw?
Original post by funky2722
I too am stuck on the ionisation of water. I posted a question on *aassumptions, would be great if you could help. **Why did you ignore water in this question too btw?

*There are no assumptions of water.
What is the context of the question?

** Self ionisation of water won't affect pH, just adding the water will dilute acid
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by dip0
*There are no assumptions of water.
What is the context of the question?

** Self ionisation of water won't affect pH, just adding the water will dilute acid

Thanks!!☺ My assumption was correct then

Quick Reply

Latest