The Student Room Group

A level English: OTHELLO REVISION HELP

Hello,
Long story short I've missed ALL of Othello and was wondering what the best way was to revise it at A level?

It is a closed book exam so now I'm worrying...

I had gone over the first part of it in class but not anything after the first few scenes which I have kind of forgotten now...

But, today I have gone through Act 1 scene 1 and know most of the key quotes and themes by memory which I will go over regularly! I did this in approx under 2 hours which is kind of long but I know I could have done it in 1 hour but was teaching my sister's which helped me!

Should I have done more today?
Is doing only act 1 scene 1 too little to do???

Any tips on how I should revise?
Where to begin revising from?

I really don't understand WHERE to start nor how to memorise certain things that are needed in the essays.
HOW do I memorise things such as ephitets and other key things and add it in when I have not been taught it nor will be...

Any sample answers?
Any tips on WHAT types of things I need to revise...?
I am both a visual learner and auditory.

I really want to get the best possible grades in my mocks so need all the advice possible!

Thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Ariel2611
Hello,
Long story short I've missed ALL of Othello and was wondering what the best way was to revise it at A level?

It is a closed book exam so now I'm worrying...

I had gone over the first part of it in class but not anything after the first few scenes which I have kind of forgotten now...

But, today I have gone through Act 1 scene 1 and know most of the key quotes and themes by memory which I will go over regularly! I did this in approx under 2 hours which is kind of long but I know I could have done it in 1 hour but was teaching my sister's which helped me!
Should I have done more today?
Is doing only act 1 scene 1 too little to do???

Any tips on how I should revise?
Where to begin revising from?

I really want to get the best possible grades in my mocks so need all the advice possible!
Thanks

Its only mocks.

Use Mr Bruff and know the plot, some themes and characters.

look at some past paper questions as well.

[video="youtube;bYlAxdiVPEY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYlAxdiVPEY[/video]

https://www.litcharts.com/lit/othello
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
Its only mocks.

Use Mr Bruff and know the plot, some themes and characters.

look at some past paper questions as well.

[video="youtube;bYlAxdiVPEY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYlAxdiVPEY[/video]

https://www.litcharts.com/lit/othello

Thank you for replying!
Thank you for the suggestions.
Bump :-)
Bump
Bump
ADVICE PLEASE....

Do I write down key quotes on each character for Each key scene or just the overall act?

So far I've got:
- key quotes for Each character: Each act/scene???

- key quotes for Each character for themes: race, jealousy, gender, prejudice, appearance vs reality, manhood & honour, womanhood & sexuality, love, sex, marriage, manipulation, hate, warfare, identity.... any more???

- key quotes for Each character: language

What other key quotes do I need?

I'm also going to be creating mind maps on each individual

character(s):
- progression throughout play
- character profiles
- relationships to other characters
- language used (Iago- racist.... etc)

Language: each character etc... what else?

Structure .... (what could I talk about???)

Themes (All mentioned above- will make seperate mind maps on all above themes....?)

AO1-5

Also:
When I create the nindmaps for the themes or the key quotes do I do them according to EACH act or EACH scene????

Anything else to create mind maps about or to include in mindmaps?
Should I make notes?
Or just mindmaps?

Tips?
Anything else?

Thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
I was thinking should I even 'read' each act/scene? Can't I just read the summaries and look for quotes for characters, themes, language etc online?
What do you think?
Thanks
Bump
Bump
Hi, so a lot of people have said to go through each part of Othello scene by scene picking out any relevant key quotes etc.
BUT, a lot of the scene-by-scene thematic quotes overlap (Sex & racism for example) so how do i memorize or revise them properly???
If i do mindmaps A LOT of the information is copied onto the other theme etc so HOW should i revise then?
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest