The Student Room Group

Chemistry question -simple

I'm being stupid

Can someone explain to me the dot and cross diagram on hydrogen peroxide.

Why does the oxygen share an electron pair ??

So confuuused

I do A level chem x
Pleeease
urgh fine.
we know that hyrdogen peroxide formula is h202.
We know that they are both gases so its covalent = they share electrons.
Oxygen has 6 electrons. Hyrdrogen has only 1.
So in order for hyrogen to bond to 1 oxygen it shares the electrons to form 7 in the hydrogen and oxygen (1 from h and the other 6 from oxygen).
Another hyrdrogen and oxygen molecule do the same thing.
But now we got 2 molecules (of hydrong bonded to an oxygen atom via covalent bonding).
So in oder to make these 2 molecules bind together, the oxygen molecules shaire a lone electron (the 1 electron from the 7) to get 8 electrons in the oxygens in total and 2 in the hydrogens. Hope that makes sense. Its best if you watch a youtube video of it.
Original post by Animotion712
urgh fine.
we know that hyrdogen peroxide formula is h202.
We know that they are both gases so its covalent = they share electrons.
Oxygen has 6 electrons. Hyrdrogen has only 1.
So in order for hyrogen to bond to 1 oxygen it shares the electrons to form 7 in the hydrogen and oxygen (1 from h and the other 6 from oxygen).
Another hyrdrogen and oxygen molecule do the same thing.
But now we got 2 molecules (of hydrong bonded to an oxygen atom via covalent bonding).
So in oder to make these 2 molecules bind together, the oxygen molecules shaire a lone electron (the 1 electron from the 7) to get 8 electrons in the oxygens in total and 2 in the hydrogens. Hope that makes sense. Its best if you watch a youtube video of it.

Thank you!

I think what I was doing was drawing the outer shells of the oxygen as three pairs together rather than looking at the two unpaired electrons :smile:
Original post by gotaquestion
Thank you!

I think what I was doing was drawing the outer shells of the oxygen as three pairs together rather than looking at the two unpaired electrons :smile:

This might be useful too :biggrin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca6aKZPBonI

Quick Reply

Latest