The Student Room Group

A level choices

I'm struggling on what a levels to take I'm thinking maths, further maths and psychology or physics however I only took combined at GCSE . I'm predicted to get
English Language-6
English Literature-6
Maths-9
Science-9
History-6
Music-9
Spanish-5
Food-9
Pe-6
I want to either become an Actuary and study either actuarial sciences or maths at uni or become a teacher in secondary school (either food maths or science)
Original post by chloe.tasker
I'm struggling on what a levels to take I'm thinking maths, further maths and psychology or physics however I only took combined at GCSE . I'm predicted to get
English Language-6
English Literature-6
Maths-9
Science-9
History-6
Music-9
Spanish-5
Food-9
Pe-6
I want to either become an Actuary and study either actuarial sciences or maths at uni or become a teacher in secondary school (either food maths or science)

I'd say with those gcse results you can do any alevels you want as you are clearly intelligent. I did psychology alevel as its a lot easier copared to biology/chemistry and maths
How many a levels can you choose is it 4 in first year and then you drop one or is it three right through because I know someone who done maths at AS Level and English Language, drama and German a
How many a levels can you choose is it 4 in first year and then you drop one or is it three right through because I know someone who done maths at AS Level and English Language, drama and German a

Might be different depending on schools, but generally 4 in the first year and most students drop one for year 13
Choose physics.

It will be a much more useful combination with maths and further maths, opening up more doors for you in terms of degrees if you change your mind. Many science courses ask for 2 sciences, which maths and physics cover, but psychology only counts as a science for a psychology degree itself (also- you don't need psychology a level to study it at uni, if that's an option at all). Physics, I imagine, will also be more useful for a maths degree than psychology- however I'm not sure how relevant that would be as you're taking maths and further maths.

I think the main thing to look at here is your predicted grades- you're predicted significantly higher in more mathematical/scientific subjects than in essay based subjects. There will be lots of essay writing in psychology!! I think your strength lies in physics, which is mostly maths at a level, and you will have no problem with it just because you're not doing single sciences. I know a couple of people who took physics without single science gcses, and they're doing just fine.

The current year 13 students are the last to have taken AS maths as part of the whole a level qualification. Now all the subjects are linear and to be carried right through- maths was the last one to change.

Most schools suggest taking 3 a levels from the beginning and you will almost definitely not do any as levels now. Some students take 4, but that's uncommon- I only know 1 person doing this.

Quick Reply

Latest