Does mass movement help reduce rates of coastal recession or does it increase it?

Watch
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I say reduce it because rockfall deposits sediment at the base of the cliff, does this sediment serve as extra protection against the processes of erosion?
mrhvarndean
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mass movement is really just another erosion process so overall mass movement causes coastal recession. But it may be correct to say that when a cliff fall happens, the debris will protect that part of the cliff for a while until it gets moved away by LSD or broken down. Thus cliffs often tend to retreat evenly because after a mass movement event that part will be stable for a while and another section may fall. But coastal processes are complex and each locality has its own set of factors. You are thinking in the right way by questioning and speculating what the impacts of any erosion event may be. Make sure you show your thinking in the exam and then the marker can see that you understand the complexity. A geography teacher.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (7)
17.07%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (11)
26.83%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (2)
4.88%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (5)
12.2%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (1)
2.44%
I think it's an unfair expectation (14)
34.15%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
2.44%

Watched Threads