A2 English Lit Coursework-- What to compare Dorian Gray with?

Watch this thread
Sergio.estañ
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all! I am starting my English literature coursework, and I have decided to analyse The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde-- it is absolutely brilliant. However, I am not sure what to compare it with... I had three books/plays in mind:
-Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
-Dr Faustus
-The Fall of the House of Usher

I just wanted some advice, to decide what to compare it with and about what to write! Thanks a lot to anyone who answers!!
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sergio.estañ)
Hi all! I am starting my English literature coursework, and I have decided to analyse The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde-- it is absolutely brilliant. However, I am not sure what to compare it with... I had three books/plays in mind:
-Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
-Dr Faustus

I just wanted some advice, to decide what to compare it with and about what to write! Thanks a lot to anyone who answers!!
I thought Faustus
What about the Elephant man? Never read either of the books.

Themes visual appearance, power and destiny, choice and consequence. Probably need something more in depth though.
Sergio.estañ
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
I thought Faustus
What about the Elephant man? Never read either of the books.

Themes visual appearance, power and destiny, choice and consequence. Probably need something more in depth though.
Many thanks, I havent read The Elephant Man, so I would need to do some research. I think I will start reading Dr.Faustus
fagan15m8
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Many thanks, I havent read The Elephant Man, so I would need to do some research. I think I will start reading Dr.Faustus
I know this is from a while ago but I was wondering which book you decided on to compare to The Picture of Dorian Grey to as I'm doing it this year
Anonymous36617
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
-Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
-Dr Faustus

The first text that came to my mind was Dracula due to the gothic features in both texts
Sergio.estañ
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by fagan15m8)
I know this is from a while ago but I was wondering which book you decided on to compare to The Picture of Dorian Grey to as I'm doing it this year
I decided to compare it to Dr. Faustus by Marlowe . I think I choose the theme of morality... But maybe another theme would have been easier. What are you thinking of comparing it to?
ErKat
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I am also doing Dr Faustus and Dorian Gray and I chose the theme of morality as well!
Sergio.estañ
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by ErKat)
I am also doing Dr Faustus and Dorian Gray and I chose the theme of morality as well!
Oh interesting! Have you thought about what you want to talk about?
The Empire Odyssey
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I decided to compare it to Dr. Faustus by Marlowe . I think I choose the theme of morality... But maybe another theme would have been easier. What are you thinking of comparing it to?
I did Dorian Gray for my A2 coursework. I had to do 3 texts; I compared it with Othello (Shakespeare) and Enduring Love (Ian McEwan). I also did the theme of morality. I did something to do with guilt and moral corruption.
Thao2002
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
hey i am comparing dorian grey to dr faustus, do you think you can send me your essay
Thao2002
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
-Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
-Dr Faustus

would you mind sending me your essay please for inspiration ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads