The Student Room Group

Career change of direction

So background: I'm British, male, 28. I have a BSc in Psychology and a master's in computational neuroscience with cognitive robotics. I hate both thos subjects and only did them because of bad advice from teachers and lecturers.

I'm not stuck ion a meaningless, soul destroying admin job. My dream is to work within the space industry. Does anyone have any tips for how to get there at this point in my life? I can't really afford to quit my job without a fall back or a decent salary. I am willing to move within the UK, possibly Europe depending on where. The National Careers Service is more useless than ever and there are very little opportunities for anything skilled in my area. I am also willing to move into a science related position.

Any thoughts?
Original post by generalname
So background: I'm British, male, 28. I have a BSc in Psychology and a master's in computational neuroscience with cognitive robotics. I hate both thos subjects and only did them because of bad advice from teachers and lecturers.

I'm not stuck ion a meaningless, soul destroying admin job. My dream is to work within the space industry. Does anyone have any tips for how to get there at this point in my life? I can't really afford to quit my job without a fall back or a decent salary. I am willing to move within the UK, possibly Europe depending on where. The National Careers Service is more useless than ever and there are very little opportunities for anything skilled in my area. I am also willing to move into a science related position.

Any thoughts?

Arent you stuck due to funding?

I believe there is now student funding for p/t degrees.

This means that students could be eligible to receive support for a second qualification if studying for a part time honours degree in one of the following.

Engineering (H)

Technology (I)

Computer Science (J)

Presumably with a bit of research you can find a space technology degree from the above , do it part time and then shift into the space industry. thats how I would do it i think.
Reply 2
I've thought about this but i'm not sure i would be able to do it. You can get funding for a second degree in STEM from Student Loans Company, that's fine. I just wouldn't be able to spend 6 years doing yet another degree. Plus there are no universities where i live and no guarantee of getting a job if i move. I need to be able to support myself in the meantime

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending