adelaols
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone, I'm torn between Edinburgh and UCL. I got offers from both for Psychology. I know UCL ranks higher, but I have also been told that Edinburgh is more established as a university seeing as it's one of the oldest universities and so on. The cost is a big factor as well. As an EU student, my tuition fee would be about 4x lower at Edi than at UCL, not to speak about the cost of living.. I love big cities but also realise that my standard of living would be significantly higher at Edi than at UCL. Another factor is that at Edi it's 4 years and it's 3 at UCL.. I'll be grateful for any advice..
Ceryss:)
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have you visited both campuses, which did you like best. You should think more about the environment you want to learn in
adelaols
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ceryss:))
Have you visited both campuses, which did you like best. You should think more about the environment you want to learn in
Actually, sadly I have not visited either. I spent a week in London last October, so I know I love the city, but I haven't been to Edinburgh..
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is it possible to visit before you pick? when I decided to go to college I originally started at Portsmouth but in the first few days Decided I hated it (had not visited before) so moved college quickly and missed the first 2 week of alevels and university is a much bigger decision so you should really try and visit if you can.
adelaols
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ceryss:))
Is it possible to visit before you pick? when I decided to go to college I originally started at Portsmouth but in the first few days Decided I hated it (had not visited before) so moved college quickly and missed the first 2 week of alevels and university is a much bigger decision so you should really try and visit if you can.
Actually I can't.. :/ I have to make a decision within 2 weeks and I have the exams in 3 weeks, so I can't afford to go on trips rn..
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by adelaols)
Hi everyone, I'm torn between Edinburgh and UCL. I got offers from both for Psychology. I know UCL ranks higher, but I have also been told that Edinburgh is more established as a university seeing as it's one of the oldest universities and so on. The cost is a big factor as well. As an EU student, my tuition fee would be about 4x lower at Edi than at UCL, not to speak about the cost of living.. I love big cities but also realise that my standard of living would be significantly higher at Edi than at UCL. Another factor is that at Edi it's 4 years and it's 3 at UCL.. I'll be grateful for any advice..
Take ranking out of the equation entirely because quite honestly the difference isn't that big between the two unis. They are both well respected well established universities. You need to be looking at course content, facilities and location. You won't be feeling so great about free tuition if you hate the course.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Actually I can't.. :/ I have to make a decision within 2 weeks and I have the exams in 3 weeks, so I can't afford to go on trips rn..
Well then maybe make a pro and con list about the course and anything you personally would consider, it will show which one you subconsciously prefer
Snufkin
Report 1 year ago
Tagging Noodlzzz.
adelaols
Rep:
?
Thank you to everyone who has pitched in and given advice so far. I appreciate it a lot.
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
UCL generally is ranked better than Edinburgh.

If it were me and the two courses were so similar as are the rankings, I would take Edinburgh purely for how much money you save.
Jiayi52
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am an international student. Same like you, I got offers from both Edinburgh and UCL for Psychology, plus KCL. I'd like to be in UCL, because 1)UCL has a more straight focus on Psychology, so does KCL. More than 75% of time is spent on psychology, compared to lower than 50% in Edinburgh 2)it's in a big city, 3)higher overall ranking and subject ranking. I also considered the tuition fee and cost of living, but that's not a decisive factor for me compared the course structure and location. Unfortunately my offers are all conditional offers, so I may not get in because the conditions for IB are really high. But if I meet the condition, I will definitely choose UCL.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (229)
60.9%
No (78)
20.74%
Not sure (69)
18.35%

Watched Threads