The Student Room Group

taking up lacrosse at uni

any tips for me, will be starting University in Sep and aim to take up lax as it's something I have taken a keen interest in. any tips for beginners on what sorta things I should be doing/working on before Sep. thanks! x
Original post by sahil19
any tips for me, will be starting University in Sep and aim to take up lax as it's something I have taken a keen interest in. any tips for beginners on what sorta things I should be doing/working on before Sep. thanks! x

Me too, but I don’t reckon we should have to do anything for it. It’s not like we would get into the first team because that would be filled with people already playing the sport. Just keep fit like normal and maybe watch some highlight videos
Reply 2
Original post by barneywherry
Me too, but I don’t reckon we should have to do anything for it. It’s not like we would get into the first team because that would be filled with people already playing the sport. Just keep fit like normal and maybe watch some highlight videos

no but in terms of keeping fit what's like important, I imagine cardio etc plus it's pretty physical so arms and chest etc.
Hey,
Generally, it will be good to have at least a basic level of cardiovascular fitness, maybe go on runs and swims to build that up. It is important to have strong arms and a strong core, but don't ignore the legs as you need power to sprint down the pitch. It is easy enough to find videos on youtube for different exercises to build up the fitness over time, or of course if you have a gym membership you can go down to the gym. It doesn't need to be expensive at all and everything can be done on a very low budget if needs be :smile:
Also, if you do get a stick before you go to Uni, get a lax ball as well and practice hitting against a wall or something to get the feeling of throwing and catching in the net. You can pick them up quite cheap off of somewhere like depop or ebay and again, there are videos on youtube on the basics of how to throw/catch/cradle etc.
Hope that helps :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by ellielivingstone
Hey,
Generally, it will be good to have at least a basic level of cardiovascular fitness, maybe go on runs and swims to build that up. It is important to have strong arms and a strong core, but don't ignore the legs as you need power to sprint down the pitch. It is easy enough to find videos on youtube for different exercises to build up the fitness over time, or of course if you have a gym membership you can go down to the gym. It doesn't need to be expensive at all and everything can be done on a very low budget if needs be :smile:
Also, if you do get a stick before you go to Uni, get a lax ball as well and practice hitting against a wall or something to get the feeling of throwing and catching in the net. You can pick them up quite cheap off of somewhere like depop or ebay and again, there are videos on youtube on the basics of how to throw/catch/cradle etc.
Hope that helps :biggrin:

amazing, thanks so much! Brother played lax when he was at Uni so I have his stick just not the ball. Do need to get back on the cardio though.

Quick Reply

Latest