UKCAT prep Watch

Alexandraxx1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is it worth doing courses? Should I buy books , I don’t know the best way to go about it and was wondering what other people did , I’m hoping to ty and get quite a high score so I want to know the best way to revise.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Dat1Guy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My friends who applied for medicine this year bought the practice books that have hundreds of questions
06shawm
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Alexandraxx1)
Is it worth doing courses? Should I buy books , I don’t know the best way to go about it and was wondering what other people did , I’m hoping to ty and get quite a high score so I want to know the best way to revise.
I personally do not think the courses are worth the price they charge.

I would recommend the website Medify. In terms of books, Kaplan: Score higher on the UKCAT is decent.

Save the official practice UKCAT papers nearer the time you plan to actually sit the exam.

Good luck.
Yipyipee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i did do a course, and i think if you can afford it you should definitely consider iy. It gave me something to start my practice from and they gave me loads of tips. I did kaplan, so i also got a massive work book and two practice tests. But it isnt totally necessary, just makes things a bit easier.
Keen Bean #1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi! I ended up with a good UKCAT score that helped get me offers everywhere I applied. I went on a course two months before my test; the course was the Classroom Course by Kaplan- it's a weekend spent in a class with a teacher and you use a textbook to learn about the types of questions etc first, and you keep the textbook, and then they also give you access to loads of practice questions and tests online, which was so useful! The best thing about these tests was that they stimulated the actual test exactly, and allowed you to practice using the actual calculator and flagging/ triage techniques and everything. They also give you an actual score at the end which is great, so that you can compare yourself to previous years scores and you can see that areas where you need to improve. So I would definitely recommend Kaplan! Also, the actual UKCAT website has some practice tests, so it's good to use those as well. Kaplan and UKCAT resources are the only things I used to prepare and I ended up doing well so if you use them well I'm sure you will do fine!
The Medic Portal
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there!

We have plenty of guidance on preparing for the UKCAT!

We'd say the exam takes around six weeks to prepare for, so we'd recommend reading up on the different sections of the exam first to familiarise yourself with it - you can do this on our UKCAT 2018 Guide. It has pages of information and preparation tips for each section, as well as 2018's testing dates.

We also have a page on tips for UKCAT preparation and an FAQs page!

We also have a completely free UKCAT Question Bank, which has thousands of questions, answer explanations and detailed performance tracking - plus mock exams!

Hope this helps!
The Medic Portal
GrandMedic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You don't need to splash out on a course. They don't teach you the secret on how to get a good score.

Most use Medify and it's what I would recommend. The simulated tests were the the closest to the actual one on test day.
UKCATrocks
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Courses won't do much good other than just forcing you to sit down and practise, which you can do at home all by yourself. The pb with the UKCAT is that you can't just use someone else's way of thinking, you need to forge your own. So I would suggest a combination of the ISC Medical 1250 questions UKCAT book and some online resource such as Medify or similar.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Neither me or my friend bothered with paid courses, we used the 1250 UKCAT book and the resources on their website and both got the offers we wanted.

You can do well without paying excessive amounts.
Khushi.S
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I did my first Medify mock today just to see where I was in terms of the test and only got 595 average and my stats were as follows: AR- 650, QR- 630 (ran out of time), VR- 600 (ran out of time), DM- 500 (ran out of time, SJT- Band 2 I am aware that this is just a prediction but I really want a high score and the first mock was slightly worrying...
KharmaMedic
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Is it worth doing courses? Should I buy books, I don’t know the best way to go about it and was wondering what other people did , I’m hoping to ty and get quite a high score so I want to know the best way to revise.
Hey Alexandraxx1, I am a graduate medical student at KCL

I did the kaplan course when I took the UKCAT and I found that it helped give me order and structure to my studying. It also very quickly let me know what to focus on so I found it useful. However, I definitely believe you do not need a course. Using practice books and online material I think it is very possible to score well.

I ended up scoring extremely well my year. If you DM me I will gladly share all my tips and tricks and advice regarding the UKCAT!

All the best in your preparation!

-KharmaMedic
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (212)
21.88%
The paper was reasonable (419)
43.24%
Not feeling great about that exam... (185)
19.09%
It was TERRIBLE (153)
15.79%

Watched Threads